Student Life in a Pandemic

Breanna Moore, Writer

A big problem that a lot of students have with school is the stress, anxiety and depression that comes along with it. As teenagers we are already going through a lot of mental turmoil, our brains are developing and reverse cycling again. The same cycle we had to endure when we were babies along with the additional events that have occurred in our lives since then. Along with this we wake up early and pray that we can get our brains functioning which isn’t the easiest with our short attention span. Here’s an example from the CDC, “During puberty, adolescents become sleepy later at night and need to sleep later in the morning as a result in shifts in biological rhythms.1 These biological changes are often combined with poor sleep habits (including irregular bedtimes and the presence of electronics in the bedroom).2 During the school week, school start times are the main reason students wake up when they do.3 The combination of late bedtimes and early school start times results in most adolescents not getting enough sleep.”

Considering this information comes from the CDC makes it more compelling and it also lists many side effects that people may not think about or even consider. The  American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that teenagers aged 3 to 18 years should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health. Adolescents who do not get enough sleep are more likely to

be overweight, not engage in daily physical activity, suffer from symptoms of depression, engage in unhealthy risk behaviors such as drinking and using illicit drugs, along with performing poorly in school. 

All these things are what affect us most that are ,mainly, a result from school. This still excludes problems that stem from our daily life, home environments,  and work. Understandably this won’t be easy to change and can take a very long time but, it is possible to work together and collectively come to a mutual understanding of what we need. If we did an entire 180 on the classroom model we know today we would find many flaws that have easy solutions. “In preparing students with such essential skills, the traditional classroom model should be revised. Many new ideas have been proposed; one notable among them is the flipped classroom model. Instead of lecturing to students, educators let students search for information outside the class (training them self-learning skills) and use class time to train students how to use such information to resolve problems together (teaching them skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, decision making, communication, and teamwork).” This article explains that as school goes on students tend to lose interest and only care about grades.  Meaning students aren’t getting any fulfillment or even retaining the knowledge that is being taught. It is our job to come together and find a way  to change this. 

In the last 9 months life has changed immensely especially school life students went from seeing each other for 7 hours a day 5 days a week to seeing each other through screens or not at all.  This can give us all the more reason and fuel to many students’ mental health and why mental health is so important, especially during this difficult time.