Living Life to The Fullest

https%3A%2F%2Firvingboxer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F07%2Fdreamstime_m_114755271-1.jpg

https://irvingboxer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/dreamstime_m_114755271-1.jpg

Jacob Vincent, Writer

Approximately 7 billion people in the world of life experience, love, dreams and aspirations. Although this is the life we are given, not all of these apply to everyone. Especially the opportunity to live the best life, we only have one opportunity to live, which not everyone has. 2% of the world’s population is homeless, which is 150 million people world wide. In the United States there’s an estimated 550,000 people that are experiencing homelessness. The minimum average ratio for homeless per person is 17 homeless per 10,000 people and the ratio only grows into larger populated cities for example, in Washington, DC there is 103 homeless per 10,000 people. 17 is still a lot at a minimum average and 103 is a huge jump including the fact that’s still not the heavily populated cities in US like Los Angeles and New York. 

Could it also be that people cannot afford housing? Worldwide approximately, 1.6 Billion people lack adequate housing. That’s nearly 1/7 of the world’s population, which is extremely shocking. Is the cost of housing too high or is the cost of housing rising and the minimum wage amount declining? How does that balance? 

Many people would have the argument against that statement saying, “If minimum wage is the issue, then why didn’t they further their education?” This statement has an extreme backfire. There are 1.26 million homeless students in the United States. That’s double the amount of homeless people in the U.S. The stigma of being a homeless student is, “If I smell bad, why should I go to school?” Thinking that and choosing not to come can cause the student to push away their education and putting themselves first emotionally, so their feelings aren’t hurt knowing they have nothing. How can schools help in these situations? How can teachers know something like this is going on?

One of the most astonishing, in my opinion, are homeless veterans. There are an estimated 50,000 homeless veterans in the United States and approximately 1.4 million that are at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing. I believe that people that serve our country should automatically be taken care of by the government. I think this isn’t happening because of the benefits they already receive such as 4 years at a college or university for free, which is an amazing opportunity, but I believe that they should have their homes taken care of if they take care and defend our country.

What can we do for those who are in need?