Philosophy Vs Opinion

Philosophy Vs Opinion

Kesha Palmer, Opinion Editor

High school is a place to gain new knowledge and experiences seemingly, with an increased amount of stress. The reasoning for this is to build resource skills to handle such stress. While math may not seem like a class that you endure simply because you have too, you learn not to give up simply because something is hard. Even your science classes teach you how to observe and draw conclusions from these observations. Language Arts or an english class of any sort is the class where you should pay most attention when looking for life advice. Some of the most valuable lessons to be learned are taught in that class even if it that wasn’t the intention. For example when learning how to write persuasive essays you learn how to express your opinion in a manner that is not offensive but still professional. The art and knowledge of philosophy has the same benefits but isn’t talked about. Now this brings up the question are philosophy and opinion the same thing?

Opinion is a very common subject in not only school but everyday life as well. The word opinion comes the latin word opinari which translates “to think.”  We as humans think and often tend to overthink about any and everything. But do we ever question any and everything? The  definition of philosophy is “the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.” While we know that to think and to question aren’t the same thing but a question can’t be formed without thinking about it. 

When one is questioning something it is common for them to create scenarios that may or may not be true even if they seem extreme. Is this overthinking or just thinking philosophically? To think philosophically requires one to question, have critical discussion, rational argument, and systematic presentation. When one performs well in all these tasks they are considered well educated however when one expresses their opinion they are considered improper and arrogant. Being an opinionated person has always had a negative stigma surrounding it however, in today’s society one can confidently express one’s opinion and receive little to no criticism. If your opinions are something that you’re proud of and won’t hesitate to share such opinions then you A) are an opinionated person and  B) should join journalism.

Opinions are based off of hard evidence forming judgments and beliefs indicating that it needs to be answered. While philosophy considers questions but not necessarily forming a judgement and don’t typically have an answer either. Ambiguity is not something typically to be desired in our world and people were always taught to always want definitive answers. As humans we always have been told that the right answer is the best answer. Philosophy teaches one to be creative and relearn that not always knowing the answer can be a positive thing. 

With all this being said the question still remains, are they the same thing? They have the similarities however, they also have their differences. I guess we’ll never have a definitive answer to this question and maybe that’s a good thing.