False Claim for Protection, Costing Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Street Roots

Street Roots

Street Roots

Amber Hawkes, News Writer

One of America’s most commonly known civil rights is the right to bear arms. With a lot of controversy recently on gun control and gun rights we need to look at all different types of gun violence.  “Man killed after Knocking On Wrong Door, Atlanta Police Say” an article on CNN written by Hollie Silverman and Madison Park, it talks about an incident in Atlanta where a man was killed and the killer claimed he shot him to “protect” his family. This is not the only time someone has been murdered for the “protection” of others. In many of these cases the defendant will have no solid evidence that the victim was a threat.

However, guns aren’t the only thing people used when they claimed they were “protecting” their families or themselves. Just last month in South Carolina a 5th grade girl died after a fight with a fellow classmate during school hours. In another case in 2008 the New York Times covered in 2011 about a woman who was accused of murdering her husband but the charges were later cleared it wrote, “But prosecutors characterized Ms. Sheehan as a pathological liar who executed her husband because she despised him after years of a sexless, dysfunctional marriage, and then cloaked herself in a false story of chronic abuse to escape justice. The physical evidence appeared unpersuasive: Mr. Sheehan had been shaving before he was killed; his body was found on the bathroom floor, the faucet still running.” This issue seems to not oftenly get a lot of media attention and when it is brought up it tends to be a very controversial topic.

Repercussions get tricky in some cases due to gun insurance, which has also been referred to as “murder insurance”.

“The reason I call it murder insurance is because if you look at the way this is marketed, it’s really sold in the context of ‘There’s a threat around every corner, dear mostly-white NRA member,’ and that threat is either a black man or a brown man or some other kind of person of color,” said Guns Down director Igor Volsky, in an article on Associated Press.

Gun insurance companies protect people from accidental gunfire even when an injury occurs or in some cases of self defence. This however,  is not the only tricky part. “Stand Your Ground Laws” are laws in certain states that allow violence when you feel threatened by another person. Gun laws in some states don’t help prevent this violence either. “It was easier for a 13-year-old boy from Virginia to purchase a .22 caliber rifle from a private seller than it was for him to buy lottery tickets, beer, cigarettes, and porn.” wrote Kelly O’Sullivan, in an article about gun control, for Insider. This easy access to weapons has caused a lot of chaos in the U.S.

Violence being condemned as well as the easy access to weapons has lead to an increased number of deaths in the U.S. “Stand your ground laws” are only one of the ways deaths have been increasing. Mass shootings, homicide, sexual assault, kidnapping, threats, and gang violence are all a very prominent issue in our society. Protests on gun control have been happening regularly, throughout the last couple of years across the country.