Beautiful Boy Review

Ruby Bernier, Opinion Writer

Beautiful Boy follows the true story of father David Sheff (Steve Carell) and his relationship with his son, Nic Sheff (Timothee Chalamet), who is dealing with drug addiction. His addiction intensifies before he goes to college, and as a result, this causes Nic to go to rehab instead. Nic deals with continuous relapsing and repeated rehab visits and viewers see how these phases of his addiction increase his impulsivity and affect his relationships with his parents, siblings, and girlfriends.

This film is based on the real-life journey of Nic and David, originally told by their two biographies. The first, Beautiful Boy by David Sheff, gave the movie its title and tells the father’s side of the story. The second, Tweak by Nic Sheff, tells his journey firsthand as he battles addiction. The movie combines both perspectives, however, we mainly see events unfolding from David’s point of view.

Many were probably nervous to see Steve Carell in such a serious role dealing with a sensitive subject, having primarily starred in comedies throughout his career. However, his performance delivered the required seriousness and emotion needed to touch on this fragile subject. While Carell delivered a great performance, Timothee Chalamet is the true star of this film. The amount of emotion and dedication that shines through his acting is powerful and moving.

Drug addiction is such an important subject to speak about. Teens are told continually to stay away from drugs and alcohol, but after hearing these warning messages, they may start to lose their meaning. Seeing such a truthful and heartbreaking representation of what could happen if you do drugs is undoubtedly a big discouragement. We see Nic go through countless relapses and phases of sobriety, but his emotions get the best of him and he goes back to drug use. These relapses show viewers the physical and mental toll it takes not only on him, but the heartbreak it causes his family as well.

Overall, this film covers a touchy subject with delicately and excellent performances from Carell and Chalamet. Not only does the movie present itself as a work of art, but also as a great preventative message for anyone wanting to become involved with drug use. Beautiful Boy is one for the books and an inspiring story.