Travis Scott and the Album of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Travis Scott and the Album of the Year

Canyon Barber, Sports Writer

Travis Scott started from nothing, yet has accomplished becoming something big in his life. Travis Scott is an American rapper who was born April 30, 1992. He was born with the name is Jacques Berman Webster II, but he later changed his name to Travis Scott for his rap career. Travis is his uncle’s name and Scott is a part of Kid Cudi the rapper’s real name.

Scott had a rough life up to his rap career. He grew up in Houston, Texas with siblings and his parents. Scott has a pretty average childhood consisting of school, trips to local theme parks (Six Flags Astroworld), and watching local Houston sports. Scott graduated high school and started college at The University of Texas at San Antonio. At this point in his life, he was wanting to continue his musical career as a producer. Scott was moving around the country trying to pursue this career with no interest in attending college. Instead, was using the financial aid from his parents for college for things like flights and equipment. Scott’s parents went to his college to pay him a visit and later found out he wasn’t there so they cut him off financially and he had to move back Houston.

His parents later kicked him out of the house and he had nowhere to go. Scott flew to Los Angeles and couch surfed at various friends’ houses. Scott was reached out to by T.I., Kanye West, and other labels.

He started out producing as he has been, but he began pursuing his rap career. At this point, Travis Scott released his first studio album Owl Pharaoh. This album has various hits such as Upper Echelon and Quintana. The next album released was Days Before Rodeo, this was when his career really started taking off and this album was a huge hit with songs including Mamacita, Drugs You Should Try It, and Skyfall. During this time, Scott’s career hadn’t really taken off so he knew he had to release something big. In 2015, he released the single Antidote which is now triple platinum. After releasing this, he released the long awaited album Rodeo, which had features with Quavo, 2 Chainz, Future, The Weeknd, Kanye West, and Justin Bieber. To this day these are still very big artists, and having them feature in 2015 showed the growth of Scott’s career. In 2016 he released Birds In The Trap Sing Mcknight, and this album had many hits including Goosebumps with Kendrick Lamar, This was very huge for Travis and for his career growth. In 2017, he released his collab album with Quavo called Huncho Jack Jack Huncho This album is very underrated and has nothing less than a few great songs.

Now fast forward to August 3 of 2018, Travis Scott released the album his fans had been waiting for. Travis announced the making of Astroworld years ago, and he finally released it. The album pays tribute to the theme park he spent lots of time at as a kid in Houston. This park was closed down and Travis was devastated as a child. The album has not one song that is not loved by his true fans. There are many hits, Including Sicko Mode featuring Drake. This song came out in August, and it is already double platinum. Travis Scott has never had a hard time coming up with hits. Astroworld has a variety of slow and soothing rap songs but also has crazy songs that make you want to jump out of your seat. Somehow, he was even able to recruit Stevie Wonder for piano on one of his songs. This is why Astroworld is the album of the year. Jacques Berman Webster II put his whole career and all his talent into this album, he took years working on it, and he had not let us down. This is why Travis Scott is the best artist out there today and why he came out with the best album of 2018.

Canyon Barber, Sports Writer

Canyon Barber was born on May 19, 2001 which means his birth stone is the emerald. He was always a short child until he grew 7 inches in 2 years now he’s...