Migrant Caravan

Back to Article
Back to Article

Migrant Caravan

Encarni Pindado

Encarni Pindado

Encarni Pindado

Griffin Kelley, News Writer

Thousands of immigrants are currently being stalled at the border between Guatemala and Mexico. Many of the people involved in this so called “caravan” originate from Honduras and Guatemala and include but are not limited to mothers, children, and elderly. Most of these families or individuals are just looking for a more optimistic future and escape from the violence of their home countries. A major consideration on the minds of many is how will the Trump administration react to the thousands of immigrants heading for the United States border.

On Friday October 19, some migrants attempted to force their way across the bridge connecting Guatemala and Mexico. This was met with Mexican police using tear gas to drive off the migrant families. In an article published in BBC, Jari Dixon says that the people traveling are not seeking the American dream but fleeing the Honduras nightmare. In an article published in the Guardian, the author states that 43 of the 50 most homicidal urban cities can be found in latin America. This can be associated with a large number of people leaving their lives for chances in more developed countries such as the United States.

In between 2013 and 2015 the United States government authorized the deportation of over 300,000 Hondurans and Guatemalans, while deporting over 550,000 Mexicans in the same time period, with criminal records. It is safe to say that the United States has done less the help the situations of these families in less developed countries.

One of the biggest challenges surrounding this caravan are the rumors being spread by Donald Trump and members of right wing media. According to an article published in the Washington Post by Joel Achenbach, one of the conspiracy theories is that 88 year old billionaire George Soros is funding the caravan. Many people believe this to be an effort to influence the election, even though this group is months away. Another rumor spread was by the President labeling the caravan as “an invasion” and stating, with no evidence to support his claim, that people from the Middle East have infiltrated the group. The President has made such statements in an attempt to frighten the American people. Most of the people in the caravan have heard about president Trump’s threats towards them including the ones about border security and the complications of receiving legal admission to the United States. According to the New York Times, interviews held with members of the group showed them more hopeful of their chances in the United States rather than their home country’s.

Between deporting hundreds of thousands of criminals to Latin America and creating obstacles left and right for immigrants, it is clear to see that families in Latin America have received no help in creating safer lives for themselves and more optimistic futures for their children. There is no telling what the result of conflict will be between the group of hopeful migrants risking it all for a better future and the fearful and skeptical government which chooses to reject them.

Griffin Kelley, Opinion Writer

Griffin Kelley is currently in his sophomore year at East High School and is in beginning journalism. He was born on October 9, 2003, in Salt Lake City,...