Serena’s Tennis Match Slam

Back to Article
Back to Article

Serena’s Tennis Match Slam

Kaitlyn Johnson, Sport's Writer

On September 8, 2018, the tennis star, Serena Williams, went against Naomi Osaka in grand slam singles. During the match, the umpire called out Serena for getting coached during a match. A few games later the umpire called her out for other things that costed her points and the game. Serena ended up smashing her racket and calling the umpire names such as thief. Overall serena had to pay a fine of 17,000 dollars.

Serena Williams has faced racist attacks  her whole tennis career. After the match on sunday she said sexism has run rampant in the sport. “I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff. For me to say ‘thief’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark,” said Serena.“He’s never taken a game from a man because they said ‘thief.’ For me it blows my mind. But I’m going to continue to fight for women.”

A week after the match a cartoon artist named,  Mark Knight, posted a comic of serena as a bigger version of herself stomping on a racket. In the background her opponent Naomi was portrayed as a white female. After outcries people decided to final talk to knight. He refused to take down the comic, but Knight said, “He simply made the drawing after witnessing ‘the world’s greatest tennis player spit the dummy, ‘It’s a cartoon about poor behaviour. It’s nothing to do with race.”

Other famous people that saw or heard about the comic decided to post comments for Knight to see. Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop. https://t.co/YOxVMuTXEC

— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) Serena said no matter what she will continue on with her tennis career. She plans to get some justice for every sports woman.

Kaitlyn Johnson, Sports Writer

Kaitlyn Johnson is in her first year of highschool. She is from Utah and born in Salt Lake City. Her favorite sport is wrestling. She enjoys wresling because...