The Corrupted Case of Kavanaugh

Erin Schaff

Erin Schaff

Griffin Kelley, Opinion Writer

Brett Kavanaugh is on the eve of being elected into the Supreme Court. His opinions on multiple social issues including the limits of presidential power and abortion rights have caused concern on both sides. Also, he has received allegations of sexual assault from Dr. Christine Ford, a psychology professor at Palo Alto University. Despite the President’s multiple attempts to defend his supreme court nomination, the American people continue question Kavanaugh’s morales.

One of Kavanaugh’s more controversial opinions is his stance on the limits of presidential power. In an article published in CNN by Claire Foran and Joan Biskupic, they say that Kavanaugh once recommended a law where the president, while in office, would be exempt from criminal prosecution and investigation. In other words, after a candidate is elected as president, if he was accused of breaking the law he would not be able to be investigated for it. This is even more prevalent now considering that Russian interference in U.S. elections is currently being investigated and could ask President Trump to testify. Kavanaugh would undoubtedly want to do everything in his power to shield the person that nominated him. In the same area of discussion, Kavanaugh has questioned the decision and process of the Watergate investigation. In an article written by Robert Barnes published in the Washington Post, he quotes Kavanaugh saying, “The decision took away the power of the president to control information in the executive branch by holding that the courts had power and jurisdiction to order the president to disclose information in response to a subpoena sought by a subordinate executive branch official.”

The next point of controversy is Kavanaugh’s sexual assault allegations. Recently, Brett Kavanaugh was accused of sexual assault by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. Ford claims the incident happened over thirty years ago when the two were still in high school in Maryland. According to a Washington Post article written by Emma Brown, Ford claims that Kavanaugh and a friend, both drunk, persuaded her into a room at a party. She then goes on to say that Kavanaugh “groped her over her clothes… clumsily attempting to pull off her one piece bathing suit and the clothing she wore over it.” Immediately after Ford’s accusation many republicans raced to Kavanaugh’s side to protect him including the President trying to take Dr. Ford’s credibility away. The President tweeted Friday morning, “I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local law enforcement authorities by either her or her loving parents.” These statements made by President Trump have upset many Americans including republican senator Susan Collins who could be seen as a major swing vote. It is unacceptable that we have someone who has been nominated for the highest court in the country being accused of sexual assault. And it is certainly not acceptable that our President is trying to invalidate the credibility of his accuser.

In consideration of these events that have plagued Kavanaugh’s reputation, he was confirmed to the Supreme Court on October 6. The senate vote was decided by a slim two votes, one of the closest votes in history. Even after the country has expressed concerns over Kavanaugh’s ideology and the accusations of sexual assault from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, a majority of the senate believe Kavanaugh is fit to serve in the Supreme Court. It was clear that Kavanaugh’s nomination and election into the Court was a rushed and premature decision, and one that if given more consideration could have been different.