The Aftermath of Hurricane Florence

Houses sit in floodwater Sept. 17  Lumberton, N.C., after Hurricane Florence hit. At least 24 people died in storm-related incidents, tens of thousands of homes were damaged, and about 500,000 homes and businesses were still without power Sept. 17. (CNS photo/Jason Miczek, Reuters) See FLORENCE-RECOVERY Sept. 17, 2018

Houses sit in floodwater Sept. 17 Lumberton, N.C., after Hurricane Florence hit. At least 24 people died in storm-related incidents, tens of thousands of homes were damaged, and about 500,000 homes and businesses were still without power Sept. 17. (CNS photo/Jason Miczek, Reuters) See FLORENCE-RECOVERY Sept. 17, 2018

CNS photo/Jason Miczek, Reuters

CNS photo/Jason Miczek, Reuters

Ceasar Hernandez, News Writer

The disastrous Hurricane, which originated from a tropical wave off the west coast of Africa, that made landfall this September that majorly struck the Carolinas, left a devastating scene. North Carolina receiving the brunt of the storm also had the most destruction.

At least 36 dead in North Carolina and 9 in South Carolina. All of these deaths were related to Hurricane Florence either during or after the storm. One case where a 41 year old mother and her 7 month old son died when a tree got knocked down and crashed into their house, the husband was injured and taken to a nearby hospital. As powerful rains and flooding are still occurring across the Carolinas, the death toll is only expected to rise.

Hog manure lagoons in North Carolina are affecting counties all over NC. Of the 3,300 lagoons in NC, at least 76 are being overflowed with pig manure. The floodwaters merging with the pig waste can create a toxic waste and harm the groundwater. The manure can also affect the drinking water for the people of North Carolina since more than 50% of the population get their drinking water from groundwater.

On a good note, a basketball player who played in Wilmington, NC during his school years, Michael Jordan is donating 2 million dollars to help North and South Carolina recover. Also an organization named “Operation BBQ Relief” are helping the residents of North Carolina by giving them hot meals.

But thousands of people have left their home and are staying shelters. While about 2,000 are being evacuated, $1.1 Billion worth of crops have been destroyed and the estimate cost of damage will be around 17 to 22 billion dollars.