Police Brutality Taking Many Innocent Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scott Barbour

Scott Barbour

Scott Barbour

Tanya Trinidad, Opinion Writer

On average, in the United States, a police officer takes the life of a citizen every seven hours, 69% of the victims of police brutality in the United States who are minorities were suspected of a non-violent crime and were unarmed . Twenty-six year old Botham Shem Jean was fatally shot in his own home on September 6,  2018, by Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, who says mistook the 26 year old as an intruder in his own apartment. She was arrested on September 9 and charged with manslaughter but posted bail for $300,000.  

Guyger still won’t confess and says that she thought Botham was in intruder in her apartment, and says the door of the apartment was ajar, and it was dark when she went in. She also states she saw a man in what she thought was her home, gave verbal commands and fatally shot Jean, but that’s not exactly what happened according to neighbors. Seconds before Guyger shot Botham, witnesses say they heard a woman in the hallway shouting, “let me in, let me in,” heard gunshots, then heard a man yelling, “oh my god, why did you do that?” states attorney Lee Merritt in “Attorney: Neighbors Dispute Dallas Cop’s Account of Botham Jean’s Death.” It doesn’t add up. How can someone mistake someone’s home for their own? Botham’s mother says he had a red carpet outside his apartment so that you could distinguish his apartment from the others.

Bothan Jhem Jean was a devout Christian who loved to sing at church and always made time to help others. “Botham’s family loves him very much. He was a good son,” said Minister Sammie Berry, who hired Jean as the worship leader at Dallas West Church of Christ. “Botham impacted everyone he knew,” Berry said. “He was so passionate about what he did, and everything was of excellence. If you knew him, you loved him. That’s the kind of impact he had on people.” Jean grew up in the Caribbean island in the nation of St. Lucia, he then attended college in Arkansas and graduated in 2016, from Harding University. He often led religious service groups as a student. The community mourns for his passing, many people remember him as a passionate, hard-working, goal-oriented person, and will forever be remembered in the hearts and in the memories of those who respected and knew him.

The past weeks people have been protesting for justice, not only for Botham but for all those who’ve been unjustly killed like Terence Crutcher (Sept. 16, 2016, in Tulsa), Philando Castile (July 6, 2016, in Falcon Heights, Minn.), Alton Sterling (July 5, 2016, in Baton Rouge), Tamir Rice (Nov. 22, 2014, in Cleveland) Tamir was only 12 years old and was shot because he had a toy BB gun, police say they mistook it for a real one. Nine have been arrested, including Stephanie Briant, Darryl Burnham, Miracle Freeman,  Arminta Jeffreys, Michael Lowe, Melissa Perry, Davante Peters, Lelani Russell, and Dion Williams. On Tuesday, about 40 hours after their initial arrest, all nine were released from Tarrant County jail, and they were released on bond.

This can’t be allowed anymore. More and more innocent people are being brutally killed for hatred, it’s sad to think that the future of this nation is becoming a statistic.  Police brutality is a big problem in our society. This has been going on for years and no drastic measures have been taken, most officers are let loose. This has to stop. It’s becoming a crime to even be in your own home; people like Jean who’ve been killed had a bright future helping others and now he’s become a statistic like many people who’ve been brutally killed due to police violence.

Tanya Trinidad, Opinion Writer

Tanya Trinidad is currently a sophomore at East high school. This is her first year in journalism, and she hopes to speak out and give light to important...