Welcome to Jurassic World

https%3A%2F%2Fworldbuilding.stackexchange.com%2Fquestions%2F57242%2Fwhat-would-have-to-happen-in-order-to-have-both-humans-and-dinosaur-like-creatur
https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/57242/what-would-have-to-happen-in-order-to-have-both-humans-and-dinosaur-like-creatur

Casey Hansen, Head News Editor

Dinosaurs, an amazing phylum of animals that roamed this earth for millions of years. Each type of dinosaur is different from the rest. Pachyrhinosaurus is a large, strong, peaceful herbivore which is contrasting to the velociraptor. This dinosaur is a small, fast, and deadly carnivore. While some dinosaur may be related, but each one has a special trait or characteristic that separates them from the rest.

Unfortunately, these animals went almost entirely extinct around 62-66 millions years ago, never to be seen again, or so it would seem. Even before the first Jurassic Park movie came out in 1993, scientists have been baffled over the possibility of somehow creating  a living, breathing dinosaur and if we could integrate them into our daily life. Jurassic Park gave us an inside look into how to create a baby dinosaur. In the movie, scientists would extract DNA strands from dinosaur blood inside mosquitoes which had been preserved in aged tree sap (amber). Then they would complete the missing genome and use frog DNA. After even more complex science, and a even longer period of time, you have a baby dinosaur. In the real world, scientists have found a huge number of insects and invertebrates (animals without backbones) inside amber with preserved dinosaur blood. Even better, in 2016 an expedition came back from Japan with an almost fully preserved dinosaur tail.

Now you’re probably thinking “ Then why haven’t we created a dinosaur yet ?“ Even though we have found thousands of preserved animals with traces of dinosaur blood, finding a specimen with intact dinosaur DNA is almost nonexistent. When the mass extinction event killed off most dinosaurs, DNA hasn’t been preserved long enough to be viable. Susie Maidment, a paleontologist at the Natural History Museum in London, U.K says, “The oldest DNA in the fossil record is only about a million years old, so it’s not possible for us to reconstruct dinosaurs from their DNA like they did in the Jurassic Park movies.”However, she says, “there is increasing evidence that proteins and other soft tissues can preserve over geological timescales, so I think it would be unwise to say that we will definitely never be able to get DNA from dinosaur fossils.”

Even now, 25 years after the release of the first Jurassic Park film, paleontologists across the world have been searching for fossilized dinosaur DNA,trying to find a way to create a dinosaur.

“I’m hesitant to say it’s impossible,”Victoria Arbour, an expert on armored dinosaurs at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Canada, says of dino de-extinction. “So many scientific disciplines are making incredible breakthroughs all the time that something that’s hard to imagine now, like resurrecting a dinosaur, might be possible 25, 50, 100 years from now.”

Assuming scientists have managed to create a living, breathing dinosaur, is it possible it to survive in our environment? Based on other countries living with large carnivores such as lions, wolfs ,bears, and tigers, humans and predators rarely get along. And in many circumstances, while humans prevail, animals dwindle. A good example is the constant rate at which rain forests are being cut down, its shows animal populations in the rainforest dwindle due to their habitat being destroyed. Arbour says she’d love to be  in a world where the armored ankylosaurs roamed around in the wild but it would present a huge problem for large plant eating dinosaurs to coexist considering how much space humans take up growing their own food and building homes.

“We don’t like large animals to encroach on those places,” she says. “I can’t imagine we could coexist with a predator like Tyrannosaurus rex when we couldn’t coexist with wolves in most of North America and we did a pretty good job of almost wiping them out completely-how could we live with a predator 70 times that size?”

In addition to dinosaurs trying to live with humans, dinosaurs might even be able to survive in our environment at all. When dinosaurs did walk the earth, grass had not evolved yet, meaning there was no grasslands bore large mammals like elephants and hippos. “What would dinosaurs eat, and how would their digestive system cope? How would they deal with mammalian predators? Where would we keep them? And what rights would they have? I think the ethical issues around cloning a dinosaur would be almost as difficult as the scientific ones,”

Arbour says. “The dinosaurs would be aliens in our world,” agrees Brusatte.“They evolved tens or hundreds of million years ago, when Earth was much different. The continents were in different places, the atmosphere was different. Maybe they couldn’t cope at all,”

But Brusatte says, we should remember a very important truth about dinosaurs that may give us ideas to how dinosaurs could survive in our world. Dinosaurs already exists with us, we see them everyday, we even see them in our own backyards, Birds. Today’s avian animals are the descendants of primitive ground-dwelling birds that survived when all the world’s forests were destroyed 62-66 million years ago during the mass extinction event that kill off  over 90% of all life on the planet. Different birds such as Turkeys,ostriches,chickens,pigeons, have been used for centuries. We eat them, keep them as pets, we even use them as service animals. Imagine. If instead of a parrot being a service animal, imagine a microraptor (small four winged genus) was a service animal.. And while having dinosaurs in our world might make a difference. Imagine if instead of having a horse drawn carriage, we had triceratops drawn carriage.  

Arby says that while she loves the ongoing research in recreating extinct species and the possibilities that might emerge with the existence of dinosaurs , she hopes that our focuses should be on preserving the animals that are still alive today. Even though seeing a dinosaur with my own eyes would be amazing, the animals that are already on our planet deserve more attention. Imagine if one day, elephants or lions went extinct and your child had to live on a planet without those amazing animals, all because some scientist was to busy with their head in the dirt.