2018 Spirit Week

Htoo Htoo, reporter

April 16th to the 20th was East’s 2018 Spirit Week. Spirit Week is when the students   celebrate their school pride by participating in activities related to the school’s sports teams, wearing school colors and competing in special Spirit Week contests and activities.

This year’s Spirit Week theme was based on the release of the movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The Freshmen were known as the Rebel Fighter Freshmen, while the Sophomores were known as Stormtrooper Sophomores, Juniors as the Jedi juniors and Seniors as Sith Lord Seniors. Before the day of the Spirit Bowl, which was held on the 20th, the students were given the opportunity to win Spirit Points by dressing up to match the dress code given to them. Monday the 16th was the Pajama Day, which meant if a student wore pajamas to school, the person will get a Spirit Point for which class they were in. At the end of the day by 5:00 p.m. there was a spirit activity which was hosted by the cheerleaders.On Tuesday, it was the Clone or Twin Day, meaning two people had to match each other to get Spirit Points. Wednesday was the Light Vs. Dark Day; students had to either wear  black or white clothes for spirit points. At the end of the day there was a spirit activity at 8:00 p.m., which was a drive in movie on East High School’s field. Thursday was Theme Day, meaning students had to dress up as a Star Wars character. Friday was finally the Spirit Bowl, which meant the classes were assigned class colors. Rebel Fighter Freshmen were assigned orange, Stormtrooper Sophomores had to wear white, Jedi juniors wore black, while Sith Lord Seniors wore red. The class color, Spirit Bowl activity and the dressing up was announced in April 3th, during the class Spirit Assembly.

The Spirit Bowl was held in the morning during first period classes. The students were also given a wrist band by the teacher, so that they can enter the big gym and participate in the Spirit Bowl. Only with the wrist band would the students be able to enter. After all the Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors had taken their spot in the big gym, the Seniors who were waiting at the small gym made their entrance. The first contest was the Hungry Hungry Hippos. The contestants were given a scooter and a basket. One partner lay flat on their stomach on the scooter while holding a basket and trying to get as many balls as they can. The other partners’ job was to push the other partner. After the Hungry Hungry Hippos contest, there were many more activities and performances. Some were by the teachers, but mostly by the students.

There was the Bubble Soccer, where Juniors had to play against Sophomores, which the Sophomores won. Seniors had to play against Freshmen and the Seniors won. The Seniors then had to play against the Sophomores, who they lost to. Sophomores got the point for Bubble Soccer. For the Tug-of-War, the Juniors had to pull against the Seniors, which the Juniors won. The Sophomores had to pull against the Freshmen, which the Sophomores won, however they lost the pull with the Juniors. After winning the Tug-of-War, the Juniors had to pull against the teachers, which was an easy win for the juniors. In the Dodgeball game, the Juniors won against the Freshmen, while the Seniors won against the Sophomores. The Seniors and Juniors played against each other, which the Juniors won. The Juniors then moved on to play against the teachers, which they also won. There was an activity called “Filling the E.” The students were required to step into the E and fill it in. They can either step in as one person or two by carrying each other on their shoulders or neck.

For the performances, there was a lip syncing battle, which all the grades performed with dancing and singing. The Dance Krew and Dance Company also gave one of their best dance performances. Even the teachers performed their own dance. Each grade got to do their own class cheer and whoever shouted the loudest got Spirit Points. The Spirit Bowl got many people fired up – so much so that the Sophomores ended up pushing a teacher, which caused them to lose two thousand points, however the Seniors only lost two hundred points for doing the same. In the end, the Juniors won the Spirit bowl, Freshmen got second place, Seniors got third, and lastly the Sophomores placed fourth.