Your Teachers are Tired of Seeing Your Cell Phones

+Image+shot+2005.+Exact+date+unknown.
 Image shot 2005. Exact date unknown.

Image shot 2005. Exact date unknown.

Alamy

Alamy

Image shot 2005. Exact date unknown.

Kesha Palmer, Student News Reporter

Too many teenagers feel as if they only need one thing to get through their day, and that thing is their smartphone. Some teenagers use their phones responsibly during school hours and keep it in their bag on silent and don’t let it distract them while teachers are talking. Then there are the other students who are completely disrespectful and have it out at all time playing on it and more. Not all teachers are the same with their rules, some have very strict policies on phones and some are very lenient when it comes to phones. However, when a teacher has resorted to taking a student’s phone into company, the frustration is very apparent on their faces. The teachers are authorized by the school board to decide their policy regarding cell phones in class.

Mrs. Kou, an English teacher at East, shared her policy, which many other teachers follow, saying “[Students] can have their phone out with permission; I tend to be strict with my policy.” However students often disregard their teachers’ rules and take their phones out anyway.

This invention is making its presence quite known throughout schools in Utah, and is called Yondr Pouch. Yondr pouch is a simple locking system that students grab as they enter the classroom and lock their personal devices away for the class period. The pouches are individually numbered that way the students know which pouch their phone is located in. Students can take these pouches to their desk. This way, they don’t have to worry about their phone being stolen or lost, while still not having access to it. At the end of the period they walked over to the unlocking system and simply swipe the lock across and it releases their personal device.

With knowing of this information Mrs. Kou said she would love to have this product in her classroom hoping it will improve the behavior of her students. “I feel as if cell phones are extremely distracting and the pros do not outweigh the cons,” stated Mrs. Kou.  She has also tried to incorporate cell phones into the daily lesson, but most students don’t obey the guidelines of the lesson and get distracted or take advantage of the privilege of having their phone out. Kou is among many other teachers who feel that cell phones shouldn’t belong in school.

Mr. Platt is a geography teacher at East High and he feels as if he is a little more lenient with his phone policy. He allows his students to use their phones to listen to music and sometimes he allows them to use it to google pictures of maps if needed. Mr. Platt said “To me it seems as if cell phones are doing great damage to the youth of today’s society.” He has tried to incorporate phones more in the  past, however it didn’t work out as he had hoped. “Although I am becoming more strict because I’m starting losing my patience,” Mr. Platt explained. He feels as if a school wide policy or a district policy is becoming necessary.

At the end of the day most teachers would agree that when told to put your phone away in class, you should listen. Too many students are becoming hard to manage for their teachers because they are too distracted by their cell phones. Do yourself, and your teachers, a favor and just put your phone away when it isn’t necessary to have it out.