Baseball in Puerto Rico

Eric Mason, Sports Writer

Puerto Rico’s amature baseball league has played baseball every year since 1940. In the 1920’s Puerto Rican teams such as the San Juan Baseball Club would travel to New York and play against some professional American teams. The game was introduced to Puerto Rico in the late 19th century. The first two baseball clubs were in 1897. The very first official baseball game played in Puerto Rico was played on January 11, 1898 at the old Velodrome in Santurce, San Juan.
After hurricane Maria struck last year, the team vowed that this season would be no different than any other season despite the natural disasters. The Cayey Toritos,a baseball team in Puerto Rico’s amature league, had their stadium destroyed by the hurricane. On their opening day before they played a double header they took a knee in their dugout and said a team prayer. They followed with a rally cry, “ This is for our community!” Despite hurricanes Irma and Maria hitting Puerto Rico, the Cayey Toritos still take the field for their community. Sometimes the players had to wash their clothes in a river because they have been out of power for about six months.
Many teams out of the 37 are considering skipping this season due to the conditions but the President of the Puerto Rican amateur baseball federation, José Quiles, said that if you are able to play you should try to. Many other teams agreed. As word spread, only four teams were unable to play this season, including the Cayey Toritos. The Cayey Toritos Stadium was worth about 15 million dollars and was built in 2012. The hurricane caused 2 million dollars worth of damage. Although they still practice in their home stadium, the Cayey Toritos are one of six teams that have to play in a loaner stadium.
Gonzalez, a player on the Toritos, states, “If you play in this league for the money, you don’t have a chance. You play because of your love and passion for baseball.” The players don’t play to win, they play to entertain the hurricane victims for a few hours, and they do it for the love of baseball.

Baseball in Puerto Rico