2018 NCAA Basketball Allegations

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 NCAA Basketball Allegations

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/04/10/fbi-investigation-kansas-miami-nc-state-louisville-basketball/504916002/

Mason Thomas, Sports Head Editor

On September 29th, 2017, the  U.S. attorney office for the New York Southern District presented investigations that uncovered mass corruptions involving bribery and wire fraud going on throughout the league.The Yahoo report shows extra benefits that multiple players, some current, many former, have received over the last few years, from tens of thousands of dollars to free meals.They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families. A list of school’s students involved include: Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Duke’s Wendell Carter and Alabama’s Collin Sexton.

All three men participated, and some are still participating, in the NCAA tournament. It showed that players from more than 20 of the nations top programs were implicated in possibly breaking the NCAA rules. Some of the teams that are accused of doing this in the past are are: North Carolina, Utah, Villanova, Louisville, and Kansas.

For Louisville, the NCAA upheld penitiles relating to a sex scandal involving players, recruits, and prostitutes and they ordered the university to take away hundreds of victories involving their 2013 championship.

The Utah Basketball coach, Larry Krystkowiak, runs a clean program, but this situation shows there are areas outside a coach’s control that need to be fixed. Former Utes star Kyle Kuzma, now with the Lakers, is alleged to have received at least $9,500 to come to Utah.

Dennis Smith, who played at North Carolina State in 2016-17, received $43,500 according to the documents.

The article also says Dennis Smith received a total of $73,500 in loans.

Isaiah Whitehead,  who was a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents.

Tim Quarterman, who was a junior at LSU, received at least $16,000 according to the balance sheet.

Diamond Stone, who was a freshman at Maryland, received $14,303 according to the  documents.

A listing that refers to Bam for $12,000.Bam Adebayo, who would go on to play at Kentucky in 2016-17. Now plays in the NBA for the Miami Heat. There’s a later reference to Adebayo that says he received $36,500.

Markelle Fultz, who played on Washington and became the number one pick in the 2017 draft and now plays for the Philadelphia 76ers, received $10,000 according to the documents.

The head coach for the Utah Utes, Larry Krystkowiak , replied to the issue  saying, “Until somebody tells me what Kyle Kuzma supposedly did, he’s not guilty in my mind.” Krystkowiak then said, “Whatever took place, maybe it was after he left school – I don’t know. Nobody has put a memo in front of me or interviewed me to know what the hell is going on around the world. Until I know for sure what he did, I can’t respond to that.”

Everyday another name is added to this list of  bribery and fraud. It is expected to go on until next year and most likely some of these listed teams will not be participating the 2019 NCAA tournament due to breaking the NCAA laws.   

NCAA Basketball Allegations

Mason Thomas, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Mason Thomas was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 10th 2001. He lived there with his two older brothers Marshall and Mitchell, along with his...