If We Stop, The World Stops

http://witanddelight.com/2018/03/happy-international-womens-day-meet-10-women-inspire/

Meya Smith, Editor-in-Chief

For the second year in a row on March 8, International Women’s Day, women across the world have gone on strike due to the lack of gender equality and sexual discrimination. It has been discovered that more than 5 million women have joined the 24-hour strike, according to BBC News. One actress standing behind the strike is Penelope Cruz who has said she is going on “domestic” strike.

The women have refused to work and are advised to not spend any money on and avoid doing any domestic chores. “A Day Without Women” from “Women’s March” website encouraged wearing red to show support for the cause. The purpose of this refusal is to show the work women do and what life would be like without women. The strike, according to USA Today, is led by the same group who created the Women’s March in Washington. With mass meetings taking place in New York, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Spain, and San Francisco, the issue has turned into a  huge movement gathering tons of followers.

Much of the public transportation and flights have been affected by the movement in Spain. New York Times notes, “The municipal court in Providence, R.I., shut down because seven of the clerks and a deputy court administrator stayed home from work. Schools in Alexandria, Va.; Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC.; and Prince George’s County, Md, closed for the day because so many teachers stayed home.”  Many sources comment on the fact that the strike didn’t have as many protesters as the Women’s March in January, and may in fact not be a strike at all because, “In order to work, a general strike has to actually stop something from functioning. Anywhere it hasn’t been done that can’t be counted as a success. It plays to your inner audience, not your outer audience,” according to Todd Gitlin, former president of Students for a Democratic Society.

Though, New York Times provides a statement from co-chairwoman of the strike, Linda Sarsour, saying, “The object for us isn’t that we hope to shut the whole economy down. We see this as an opportunity to introduce women to different tactics of activism. Our goal is not to have the same numbers as the march.”

Women chant, “If we stop, the world stops,” as they partake in the strike which united women from all backgrounds. However, the event was met with some backlash. Many have explained the strike to be one for women of privilege, women who can afford to take the day off work. Further, due to many schools closing for the day, the Washington Times explains Planned Parenthood, one of the larger supporters of the economic and social equality the movement was meant to achieve, to be a target for criticism. Kristan Hawkins, Students for Life of America president, says, “ Does Planned Parenthood, a main sponsor of the Women’s March, approve the closing of schools and putting unnecessary burdens on women, especially working mothers who rely on a regular school schedule? Are they OK with children from low-income families who will go hungry on Wednesday? Women’s empowerment shouldn’t rely on putting other women and children in precarious situations just to make a point.”

The movement’s purpose had been a crucial point to many women and though they have faced criticism, they continued on with their movement gathering and uniting many followers for support.