X Games Real Ski 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

X Games Real Ski 2018

http://xgames.espn.com/xgames/real/22384092/real-ski-2018

Noah Hamula, Sports writer

X Games Real Ski has just wrapped up its third year of urban skiing videos. This year, the skiers have gone bigger than they ever have before. Suffering from countless injuries, many barely put together a one minute video. Magnus Graner only got a few clips before he injured his hip on a very technical quadruple kinked rail. Phil Casabon won gold and the fan favorite vote by 55%. Antti Ollila won silver while Keegan Kilbride won bronze.
Also known as B Dog, Phil Casabon is considered one of the best urban skiers due to his unique style. Unlike other skiers, Casabon spins slower and holds his grabs longer. His loose and baggy clothes also bring a totally different feel to skiing. He can make less technical features and tricks enjoyable to watch because of the amount of flow that he has. Many of the clips were filmed in his hometown Quebec. At 28 years old, Casabon shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. He has been riding for the Armada team for nearly a decade and has brought a lot of attention towards the art of street skiing.
Silver medalist Antti Ollila, also won second in the fan vote by 16%. Unlike many of the other competitors in this competition, Antti was shown doing wallrides and gapped several large features. The 23 year old from Finland is just starting to blow up. He was the last years’ winner of the Slvsh Cup Grandvalira. He rides for Faction Skis and is a huge part of the team.
Keegan Kilbride was awarded bronze even though he placed fourth in the fan vote. Keegan had some of the heaviest shots this year. In his video, he threw spins as large as 630 degrees off rails 25 feet high. The amount of skill he has at such a young age is remarkable. He won the Level 1 Superunknown Contest in 2016 and had the opening part in the movie “Habit”. Many feel his career is just starting to explode and he’s getting better every year.

The X Games Real Ski event has finally given attention to the art of urban skiing. This unique type of skiing is a way for the skier to create and express their own style. The skier has a chance to get creative and hit features that no one would even consider possible. While street skiing is small right now, X Games are shining a new light on the sport many didn’t know existed.

X Games real Ski

Noah Hamula, Sports Editor

Noah is a senior at East high. He plays varsity lacrosse and enjoys other sports like basketball and football. He enjoys the outdoors because it makes...