New Trend of the Year, “Tide Pod Challenge”

http://www.pajiba.com/assets_c/2018/02/tidepodsyo-thumb-700x466-192413.jpg

Ayla Mayo, Hard News Writer

Since 2013, Tide pods have been warning their customers about the hazards of ingesting these small colorful packets of laundry detergent. Parents and The P&G company don’t understand why teenagers are consuming the product despite all the warning listed on the box, on their website, and the common sense of an individual. Tide pods have made the news in many ways such as becoming another stupid challenge, killing teenagers, and even local shops making edible pods in regular treats we eat.

After viral social media challenges, such as the cinnamon challenge, hot pepper challenge, kylie lip challenge and more, the internet decides to make another one so teenagers can have “bragging rights” as said by Jamie Ducharme, the author of “Here’s How Common The Tide Pod Challenge Really Is.” However, just as most of these internet challenges do, they can hurt or even kill you. This challenge has gotten so bad that the US Consumer Product Safety Commision (USCPSC) had to step in and encourage people not to eat laundry detergent.

If you look on a box of any tide product or laundry detergent, they all have warnings posted on the side of that container. Most say (and should say), “Keep out of reach of children.” The teenagers who are consuming these soapy packets are putting a bad name on this generation and themselves. In the article listed before, it also says, “In 2017, about 10,500 of the 12,300 estimated exposures to laundry pods occurred in children younger than five, according to the AAPCC.” The fact that it says “younger than five” shows how incredibly childish this is for teens to be doing.

Its crazy how far an internet challenge can go. At Cranky Al’s, which is located in Wauwatosa, Tide Pod donuts are now made. The donuts have vanilla frosting and raspberry filling. According to the owners of Cranky Al’s, they have been selling out everyday. A lot of people enjoy having these as another way around the challenge, and at least they taste better than the actual laundry pods. Many adults take it as a joke and have a sense of a “pop culture vibe.”

In Salt Lake City, Utah, a Utah State University student ingests a tide pod and was quickly rushed to the emergency room on January 20 . The incident was also connected to the online challenge. There has been thirteen other cases just in Utah where people have ingested Tide Pods. Most of the incidents that  have happened around us have been a simple, but detrimental mistake by kids usually under the age of six. Procter & Gamble even stated  their life and health matter more than clicks.”

So, what can happen if you decide to eat one? According to Jeneen Interlandi, author of “What eating a Laundry Pod Can do to you,” you could side-effects such as vomiting and severe diarrhea. The tight, compact film around the packet can be dissolved in a matter of seconds. Once it hits the saliva in your mouth, it starts breaking down. Because these pods are made up of ethanol, peroxide, and polymers, it starts to mix right which make up a toxic substance. This substance can burn away the lining of your esophagus, stomach, mouth, etc. If this is not treated right away, you can expect your lungs to start filling with fluids, the detergent will already be traveling in your bloodstream too. It is also noted in this article that you can expect death with in days or even hours.

There are tons of people who are concerned for the individuals who are consuming pods and are pitching in to get them to stop and end the ludacris challenge. Tide pod, poison control, and people within neighborhoods are keeping an eye on  their kids and others. It was said by Time News that tide pod put out a message saying they will be stop selling tide pods after the first of february. Later in the article, it was said that was a hoax and they will continue to market pods. Youtube will taken down any videos of people participating in the challenge. If you know someone who decides to eat a laundry packet or anything poisonous, please contact 1-800-222-1222 or text POISON to 797979 to get help.