2018 Winter Olympic Bobsleigh

Sam Skurnik, Sports Writer

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held from February 9th to February 25th. Athletes from all around the world will come to PyeongChang, a small town located in South Korea, to compete for the ever sought after Olympic Gold. The Winter Olympics include athletes from sports like snowboarding, skiing, curling, speed skating, and my personal favorite, Bobsleigh. Bobsleigh was invented by the swiss in the 1860’s, and it has gained lots of popularity as it made its way to the winter olympics in 1924.

Bobsleigh is a team sport where either 2 or 4 teammates get in the bobsleigh and make their way down an icy path in the fastest time possible. The track length is typically between 1,200 and 1,300 meters. Every team has to run a certain distance and then hop into the sleigh. The person in the front of the bobsleigh is called the navigator who controls the ropes, and the person in the back is the Brakeman who stops the sleigh at the end of a run. The scoring of the bobsleigh is decided over multiple days and multiple runs with the team having the fastest cumulative time down the track winning the gold medal.

The Women’s Nigerian Bobsleigh team is not expected to place in the event, but they are the first African team to qualify for this event. The U.S. Women’s Bobsleigh team is expected to do well, just as they did in the previous Olympics, placing second and third. The U.S. men’s team don’t have the same predictions after one of their teammates, Steven Holcomb, died unexpectedly last year at 37. The Russian team would have been favored in this event, but due to the massive doping scandal, many Russian athletes are not allowed to compete in this year’s Olympics.

There were four new sports added in this year’s Winter Olympics including big air snowboarding, freestyle skiing, and a new variation of the speed skating and curling events. This will be very exciting for skiing and snowboarding due to the favorable slopes and snow this year. However, one negative factor is the high speed winds that have already delayed events such as Women’s Snowboarding and caused some athletes to have to retry their runs.

This year’s Olympics promise to be exciting with many young athletes looking to prove themselves, like the promising 17 year old U.S. snowboarder Chloe Kim, as well as returning athletes, Lindsey Vonn and Shaun White. This also marks a major milestone for the United Nations, since North Korea and South Korea will come together and compete in some events together.

2018 Winter Olympics Bobsleigh