Thirteen Children Escape Torture by Parents

David A. Turpin and Louise A. Turpin

David A. Turpin and Louise A. Turpin

By: Riverside County Sheriff’s Department

David A. Turpin and Louise A. Turpin

Even Madsen, Hard News Writer

On January 14, 2018 in Riverside, California, thirteen siblings (3 boys and 10 girls) ages 2-29 were rescued and hospitalized after a long life of torture and human depravity. One of the Turnpin daughters decided to make her escape. After 6 long years of secretly planning, the teenage girl grabbed one of her many siblings, stole a phone from the house, and took her chance running away. On their way out, her sibling panicked and turned back. She considered going back herself, but decided to continue with her well thought out, but risky plan.

After her escape, she contacted authorities and reported the many horrors her and her siblings faced. The teenage girl explained how her parents beat the siblings, forced them to urinate themselves, and only let them bathe once a year. If they violated this, they would be accused of  “playing in water” and punished by being chained to their beds.

David A. Turpin, age 56, and Louise A. Turpin, age 49, the parents of the 13 children, were later arrested and charged with dozens of accounts of abuse and torture. The Riverside county district attorney, Mike Hestrin, described the situation as the most gruesome case of “human depravity” that he’s seen in his long career.

Hestrin stated that due to the prolonged extreme physical abuse, many of the children show evidence of nerve damage and cognitive deficiencies. Meaning, they have significant limitations in their ability to learn and function. Hestrin also says that the siblings have not seen a doctor for four years and have never seen a dentist.

The siblings were forced to stay up all night and sleep during the day. They were given a strict diet of tiny amounts of food. This resulted in many of the siblings being severely malnourished. A 29-year-old daughter weighed only 82 pounds and a 12-year-old sibling was the same size as a small 7-year-old.

While investigating and talking with the siblings, the authorities realized the siblings at they didn’t know what a police officer was. “They lack a basic knowledge of life,” Henstrin said.

Mr. and Mrs. Turpin made there residence a private home school to prevent child services and law enforcement from interfering with their lifestyle. This is why no one had any serious suspicion of what was going on in their home all this time.

While in court, Mr. and Mrs. Turpin both pleaded not guilty to their charges which included 12 counts of torture, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult, six counts of child abuse, and 12 counts of false imprisonment. Mr. Turpin is also accused of one account of lewd act against a child. Their bail was set at 12 million dollars.