Free Meek Mill

Meek Mill, New York

Meek Mill, New York

Shareif Ziyadat

Shareif Ziyadat

Meek Mill, New York

Taya Vigil, Hard News Writer

Robert Rihmeek Mill, better known as Meek Mill, is an American rapper raised in Philadelphia. Earlier this year, Mill was arrested for “popping wheelies” on his dirt bike and also for getting into a fight at the St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

On November 6, Mill was sentenced to 2-4 years in state prison for violating his probation. The Philadelphia rapper had been on probation for nearly a decade after being convicted on gun and drug charges at the age of 21. In the days following his sentencing, #FreeMeek has remained a rallying cry–online and off. On November 13, the American football quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, tweeted that Meek’s case shows the urgent need for criminal justice reform. That same day, American rapper, Rick Ross, and Philadelphia basketball legend, Julius Erving, led a protest demanding his sentence to be overturned.

Over the past 10 years, Meek’s case has been overseen by Judge Genece Brinkley, who is now under FBI investigation for partial treatment of Mill. The decision to punish or not punish him for probation violations is hers alone. Several Philadelphia-based lawyers, interviewed by Pitchfork, said that Mill’s sentence seemed excessive. Some people noted, however, that there would be no surprise to see a judge “come down on” someone who, like Mill, violated the terms of his probation five times in the last six years. “But with such a long period under a court’s scrutiny, it’s difficult for anyone, let alone a high-profile rapper often on tour, to not slip up somehow.” says judge Brinkley.

Mill’s legal team has been fighting the judgments against their client every step of the way. So far, they have requested that judge Brinkley recuse herself from the case and apply for a bail reconsideration, but was denied by judge Brinkley because she believes the rapper to be a “flight risk” given the fact that he has multiple addresses and knows the severity of the sentence he faces. They filed an emergency Original Writ of Habeas Corpus to have Meek immediately released, but was denied by the Supreme Court.

In reading the courts transcript, Meek asks the judge “Your honor, can I say one thing?” The judge says no then his defense attorney asked, “could you give him his last post-sentence rights, please?”

The American rapper Jay Z has made a statement about Meek, he said “Meek was very frustrated that he wasn’t able to speak and he knows he’s being treated differently. It isn’t fair, he should be able to have his last post sentence rights.”

Since then, a lot of people have been helping Mill fight this unfair sentence. On December 14th 2017, the 76ers co-owner, Michael Rubin, visited Mill in jail to plot some legal strategies to help Mill get out as soon as possible. “Mill’s spirits are about as good as they could be,’’ Rubin tells billboard, “he’s smiling, he’s positive and he’s really very appreciative of all the support he’s gotten… from Al Sharpton, Colin Kaepernick, Kevin Hart, all these people supporting him on social media.” Although Rubin wasn’t able to go into detail as to the legal strategy he’s plotting with Mill, he confirmed he’s doing everything he can to get Mill out and is apparently hopeful. Rubin told Mill that him and others will do everything they can to support him and hopefully he’ll be home for Christmas.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Free Meek Mill”

1. Melissa on January 31st, 2018 10:53 am

Honestly they should of gave mill a chance to speak, it wasn’t really fair

[Reply]

2. Jeffrey on January 31st, 2018 10:53 am

#FreeMeekmill

[Reply]

3. Victor on January 31st, 2018 12:20 pm

#freemeekmill

[Reply]

4. Manisha on January 31st, 2018 12:22 pm

This article is very detailed and interesting!

[Reply]

5. Name on January 31st, 2018 12:25 pm

I hope he gets out soon so he can keep making that fire!

[Reply]

6. Alex on January 31st, 2018 12:26 pm

After reading the article about meek mill it has similar thing about the past and today.Because when mill wanted to say something the judge said no.

[Reply]

7. Edwin on January 31st, 2018 2:26 pm

This is interesting

[Reply]

8. Edwin on January 31st, 2018 2:26 pm

This is interesting!!

[Reply]

9. Jesse on January 31st, 2018 2:27 pm

While i dont know who Meek Mill is i do agree that the criminal justice system should be reformed.

[Reply]

10. Edwin on January 31st, 2018 2:27 pm

Free my man!!

[Reply]

11. Aldo on January 31st, 2018 4:53 pm

He should get a fair trial

[Reply]

• Free Meek Mill

News

Endangered Elephants

• Free Meek Mill

News

Hawaii Residents Suffer from Volcano Eruption and Earthquake

• Free Meek Mill

News

Syria

• Free Meek Mill

News

Rewilding Carnivores

• Free Meek Mill

News

If We Stop, The World Stops

• Free Meek Mill

News

How This Year’s Legislature Annual Meeting is Going to Effect our School

• Free Meek Mill

News

Teen is Charged for Murder of his Father and a Child

• Free Meek Mill

News

4.5 Million Dollar Thumb

• Free Meek Mill

News

Deep Ocean Controversy

• Free Meek Mill

News

New Trend of the Year, “Tide Pod Challenge”

Free Meek Mill