The President VS America’s Favorite Sport

The Raiders before Sunday night’s game at FedEx Field against the Redskins.

Alex Brandon

Alex Brandon

Ian Mathis, Hard News Writer

In 2016, NFL 49er quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, took a knee during the playing of the national anthem in protest of racial oppression and police brutality against African Americans. After this, many other players throughout the league joined the quarterback in his protests wanting to express their frustration on other issues.

In early October of 2017, with the NFL season starting again, the league clarified that they will continue to allow the protests to continue. In response to this statement, President Trump stated his disapproval of the protests via twitter. “The NFL has decided that it will not force players to stand for the National Anthem. Total disrespect to our great country!” He also insulted the league, calling them “weak” for not requiring their players to stand during the playing of the anthem.

These attacks have resulted in a majority of the public taking sides. There were those who supported and agreed with Kaepernick’s protest and others who found it disrespectful and thought the act should be outlawed in the NFL. These people who supported the protests commended the league for not changing their rules. However, despite this support, the NFL suspended the man who started it all. Kaepernick’s suspension caused another up roar in the community. Many who supported the league felt as though by suspending Kaepernick they were giving into the demands of the president and others who were against the protests.

President Trump has been through many controversies during both his campaign and presidency, but this one was unexpected. In 2017 alone, he was involved in more than 10 public issues that he received backlash from. These include; an immigration ban, having multiple ties to Russia, which he happens to be under investigation for, not denouncing violent acts of a white supremacy groups, trying to take away citizens’ DACA cards, a video where he brags about sexually assaulting women, tweeting out top secret US information and much more. President Trump continues to lambaste the league despite the negativity he was receiving. One of the things that President Trump repeatedly mentioned was how the NFL’s ratings had decreased due to the players’ lack of respect towards the flag. Which some have found hypocritical of President Trump considering his presidency ratings were falling as well.

Throughout this battle, many of the NFL’s fans have supported, and continue to support, the NFL’s decision to allow their players to protest. This has been the force driving the league to not back down. Many who have supported the league have blasted the president for his thoughts on the NFL.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “The President VS America’s Favorite Sport”

1. Kaleb Vanniel on January 31st, 2018 10:54 am

Great job! I think Colin Kaepernick does a great job of expressing his concerns through a peaceful protest

[Reply]

2. Brandy on January 31st, 2018 12:22 pm

NFL players should have a right to speak up and bring light to racism that is being endured, they might be public figures but they are also humans.

[Reply]

3. Masi on January 31st, 2018 12:25 pm

I stand with Kaepernick!

[Reply]

4. Albert on January 31st, 2018 12:27 pm

Stand up for what you beleive in

[Reply]

5. Henilieta Afeaki on January 31st, 2018 2:26 pm

The idea that the suspension of Kaepernick infuriated the public because they felt as if the NFL was giving into the demands of our President, was interesting from my point of view.

[Reply]

• News

The Impact Henrietta Lacks Had on the World

• The President VS America’s Favorite Sport

News

Thirteen Children Escape Torture by Parents

News

Free Meek Mill

News

26 Dead In Texas

News

Struggling with Lupus

News

University of Utah Shooting

News

Light the Night: When We Walk Cancer Runs

• News

Utah Nurse Gets Arrested for Doing her Job

• News

Discovery of Uromys Vika Rat

News

Destructive Damage in Florida Keys