26 Dead In Texas

Gunman kills 26 in rural Texas.

Police arrive to the scene; relatives gather to mourn.

Henry Thomas

Henry Thomas

Noah Hamula, Hard News Writer

On November 5th, a gunman killed 26 people in a church located in Sutherland Springs, Texas. There were 23 found dead inside the church, 2 found dead outside the church, and 1 died at the hospital. At least 20 more were wounded. The gunman has been identified by the Texas Department of Public Safety as Devin Patrick Kelley. Kelley had served for the Air Force at a base in New Mexico from 2010 to 2014, but in 2012, he was court martialed on charges for assaulting his wife and child. He was given a bad conduct discharge in 2014 and 12 months in confinement.

Kelley opened fire soon after the morning service began at 11 A.M. in what ultimately became the deadliest shooting in the state’s history. He was equipped with a military style rifle, a ballistic vest, black tactical gear, and many rounds of ammunition. Kelley started by driving around the church shooting civilians from his car. Then he walked into the church and open fired. When Kelley fled the scene, an armed neighbor shot him and another civilian chased him, driving him off the road. Kelley managed to get away, but was later found dead in his car, the cause of death is unclear.

His victims ranged from 18 months to 72 years old, including several children, a pregnant woman, and the pastor’s 14 year old daughter. With the population of this rural town being only 600, the majority of the town was affected by this horrific event.

The style of rifle Kelley used was a Ruger AR-15. This gun is very similar to the standard M16 rifles US soldiers are issued. These powerful rifles were banned in 1994 under the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. However, this ban expired in 2004 and is the weapon of choice for many terror attacks. The gun is very light and can carry many rounds of ammunition. Not only is it easy to use, but it is relatively cheap. With the price ranging from $500 to $900, this gun isn’t hard to obtain.

Since this tragic event, there has not been a single change to gun laws in America. Three of the five largest mass shootings have occurred in the past year. The rate of these attacks are increasing dramatically. Youtube sensation, Danny Duncan, who is taking action to change gun laws said, “If nothing is done to change gun laws, there will most likely be more shootings. America needs to take this topic more seriously and make more of an effort to making a change.”

Other countries seem to have taken more precautions after being attacked. In Australia, a man walked into a cafe and killed 35 people in 1996. After the attack, Australia passed a comprehensive set of gun restrictions which led to a confiscation of 650,000 firearms. In 1996, a gunman in Scotland killed 16 children and their teacher and the UK banned most types of handguns. Mass shootings in other countries such as New Zealand, Canada, and Germany had led them to take similar action. Since this incident, there has been no new changes made to gun laws by the Congress or Senate.

Sources:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/a-mass-shooting-in-texas-and-false-arguments-against-gun-control

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/us/church-shooting-texas.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s-most-mass-shootings/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/texas-church-shooting

2 Comments

2 Responses to “26 Dead In Texas”

1. Evan Madsen on January 12th, 2018 12:03 pm

THIS IS THE BEST ARTICLE IVE EVER READ

[Reply]

Noah Hamula Reply:

Hey thanks Evan! I admire your work as well 🙂

[Reply]

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

If We Stop, The World Stops

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

How This Year’s Legislature Annual Meeting is Going to Effect our School

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

Teen is Charged for Murder of his Father and a Child

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

4.5 Million Dollar Thumb

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

Deep Ocean Controversy

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

New Trend of the Year, “Tide Pod Challenge”

• News

The Impact Henrietta Lacks Had on the World

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

Thirteen Children Escape Torture by Parents

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

Free Meek Mill

• 26 Dead In Texas

News

The President VS America’s Favorite Sport

26 Dead In Texas