The Life Of Tom Brady

Sep 7, 2017; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (12) takes the field before a game against the Kansas City Chiefs at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper -USA TODAY Sports

Greg M. Cooper -USA TODAY Sports

Greg M. Cooper -USA TODAY Sports

Sam Skurnik, Sports Writer

Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr was born August 3, 1977. He grew up in San Mateo, California and attended Junipero Serra High School where he played football, basketball, and baseball. Brady then went to the University of Michigan to play football. He competed for a starting role throughout his college career with other quarterbacks like Drew Henson and Brian Griese who were the stars upon Brady’s arrival. He was the backup quarterback the first two years and then in his Junior year, he fought with Drew Stanton for the starting position. He won the battle and started every game during 1998 and 1999. But his position was not easily earned as Brady and Stanton traded off playing time in the 1999 season. Brady entered the NFL draft in 2000 and recorded the slowest 40 yard dash in combined history. Regardless, Brady was still selected by a team. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the 6th round as the 199th overall pick.

Brady didn’t see much playing time in his rookie year, attempting only 3 passes all season. But soon into Brady’s second year, the Patriots starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe went down on a hit from a Jets linebacker. Bledsoe suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest that was almost terminal. Tom Brady went in for Bledsoe, and Brady led the Patriots to a Super Bowl that year. The Patriots faced the St. Louis Rams who at the time we’re known as “the greatest show on turf” for their stellar offensive performances from quarterback Kurt Warner, running back Marshall Faulk, and wide receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce. Tom Brady & Co. were the underdogs going into this game, as Brady had not even a full season of experience in the pros. The game was close and went down to the wire. Brady led the Pats on a game-winning drive late in the 4th quarter and set up kicker Adam Vinatieri for the game-winning kick. Vinatieri made the kick and Brady and the Pats got their first Super Bowl ring.

Now that Brady had a ring it was his job to turn the Patriots into a dynasty. He had won the starting role and proved he was capable of leading a team. Brady’s next chance in the Super Bowl was in 2003 when the Patriots played the Panthers. Again this game was very close. There was no score until the second quarter and at halftime New England was up 14-10. The third quarter was scoreless which meant an exciting fourth quarter was coming. On the second play of the last quarter New England rushed for a touchdown increasing their lead 21-10. On the Panthers’ next possession Carolina answered and rushed for a touchdown of their own, decreasing the deficit 21-16. On Brady’s next drive, he led the Pats down into the Panthers territory but then threw his first interception of the game. The Panthers quickly capitalized and scored on an 85-yard touchdown and giving them their first lead of the game. The score with 6:53 remaining was Panthers 22, Patriots 21. The two teams both scored again and with the Patriots’ successful two-point attempt, the score was 29-29 with just over a minute to play. Brady got the ball back and led the Pats into the Panthers’ territory and Vinatieri once again kicked the game-winning field goal. The Patriots and Tom Brady had won their second Super Bowl in three years, and at this point it was clear Tom Brady had a lot of potential.

The next year the Patriots won the Super Bowl again after beating the Eagles by three points. This was the Patriots’ third Super Bowl in four years, an achievement only shared with the Cowboys. The Patriots were a dynasty, and Brady was at his third Super Bowl win in just his fifth season. Brady was proving to be a future hall of famer with his rings, and then 2007 came around.

In 2007 the Patriots’ offense got a huge addition when they signed wide receiver Randy Moss. Moss was one of the greats at his position and fans were very optimistic about what Moss and Brady would do together. But no one predicted what happened. The Patriots started their season off hot, winning their first eight games, and also winning their final 8 games making them the only team to finish a season with a 16-0 record. Not only did they not lose a game, but Brady and Moss both set records that season for the most touchdown passes in a single season (50) and the most touchdown receptions in a single season (23). Brady’s 50th TD and Moss’s 23rd TD came in a week 17 game against the Giants. Brady snapped the ball as Moss took off deep down the sideline. Brady threw it up for Moss and he came down with it in the end zone for a touchdown that sealed New England’s 16-win season. The Patriots won two playoff games after this and advanced to the Super Bowl with a record of 18-0. Brady also took home the NFL MVP award for his stellar performance. In the Super Bowl they faced the NFC Champion and the same team they played in week 17, The New York Giants. The game was close once again, but New England had the lead late in the fourth and it seemed as if the Patriots would complete a perfect season. But on one of the most ridiculous plays in Super Bowl history, Eli Manning avoided being sacked by multiple Patriots defenders and heaved the ball deep to Giants’ reciever David Tyree who caught the ball by pinning it to his helmet as Patriots’ safety Rodney Harrison tried to force it out of his hands. This catch resulted in a key first down that ultimately won the Giants the game and wrecked the Patriots’ chances of a perfect season. Fans were heartbroken.

The Patriots’ luck didn’t get much better the next season when Brady tore his ACL in the first game of the 2008 season against the Chiefs. The Pats finished the season without Brady with a record of 11-5, but they did not make the playoffs.

Brady returned the next season and was back to his regular form. In 2010 Brady took home his second MVP award and then in 2011 they returned to the Super Bowl. They again played the Giants where they lost 21-17. Brady’s Super Bowl record was now 3-2.

In 2014 the Patriots started their season 2-2 with their second loss coming in week four against the Chiefs on a Monday night game. The Patriots lost 41-14 and Brady played one of the worst games of his career.  There was a discussion as to whether Brady was too old and not as talented as he once was. In a post-game interview with Patriots’ head coach Bill Belichick, a reporter asked him if he was going to consider replacing Brady at quarterback. Belichick scoffed at the question and answered every question after that with the same response: “We’re on to Cincinnati.” The Cincinnati Bengals were the Pats’ week five opponent and fans were hoping for a win as they needed one badly to save their season and reputation. The Patriots crushed the Bengals 43-17 and Brady played a great game. After that they didn’t lose a game until week 13 and finished the season 12-4. They made it to the Super Bowl and played the Seahawks in a thrilling game that came down to the wire. Late in the fourth the Patriots had a four-point lead but the Seahawks had the ball. They advanced to the Patriots’ two-yard line and were facing a first and goal. With 27 seconds left Seahawks QB Russell Wilson snapped the ball out of the shotgun formation and immediately looked to his right to throw the ball to Ricardo Lockette. But rookie cornerback Malcolm Butler jumped the route and intercepted the pass to seal the Patriots’ victory. Tom Brady snapped the ball on the next play and took a knee as time expired. The Patriots and Tom Brady won their fourth Super Bowl and Brady took home his third Super Bowl MVP award. Brady was now tied with his childhood idol, Joe Montana, for the most Super Bowl rings of all time.

Brady and the Pats returned to the Super Bowl in 2016 when they played the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons had the best record in the league and proved themselves as a threat to the Pats’ dynasty. The game was a blowout from the start. The Falcons took flight and ran up the score to 21-3 at halftime. Then in the third quarter the Falcons scored again and brought the score to 28-3 with 8:31 left in the 3rd. Brady remained calm and never gave up. He led his team down the field and threw for a five-yard touchdown to running back James White. Stephen Gostkowski missed the extra point so the score was 28-9. Next the Patriots kicked a field goal making it 28-12. The Falcons were 9:44 away from a Super Bowl ring. When the Patriots got the ball back they scored a touchdown and got a two-point conversion, making it an eight point and one possession game. However, the Falcons got into field-goal range with just a few minutes left. Any score from the Falcons would guarantee a win. But a penalty and a sack pushed the Falcons back out of field-goal range and forced them to give the ball to Tom Brady. Brady had to score quickly to tie the game. Brady has been in this situation many times before and successfully led the Pats to a touchdown and two-point conversion to push the game into the first overtime in Super Bowl History. The Pats won the coin toss and got the ball to start OT. The Pats quickly scored a touchdown and won the game 34-28. It was the largest comeback in SB history. Not only did Brady take home his 5th ring, but also another SB MVP.

Brady is now 40 and in his 18th season. He currently leads the league in passing yards and will try to make it to his eighth Super Bowl later this year.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Life Of Tom Brady”

1. Mulani on January 31st, 2018 10:53 am

No one is a very big fan of him

[Reply]

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

The Western Conference Semifinals

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

One-handed NFL linebacker Shaquem Griffin

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

Baseball in Puerto Rico

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

2018 NCAA Basketball Allegations

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

East High Girls Basketball

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

2018 NFL Transactions

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

X Games Real Ski 2018

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

Lacrosse Culture in Utah

• The Life Of Tom Brady

Sports

2018 NFL Playoffs: The Most Exciting Games of 2018

The Life Of Tom Brady