University of Utah Shooting

Surprise shooting at the University of Utah; one dead after carjacking attempt.

Law Enforcement searching for suspect near Red Butte Garden on the University of Utah campus.

Rick Egan

Rick Egan

Evan Madsen, Hard News Writer

On Monday, October 30, on the campus of University of Utah, ChenWei Guo was shot dead by Austin Boutain. Boutain was attempting a carjacking when things escalated and the situation turned fatal. It was reported that Mr. Boutain used a .44 caliber pistol to shoot and kill the University of Utah student ChenWei Guo. Mr. Boutain also had traded a second gun, a .38 caliber, for marijuana. A third gun, being a rifle, was found in the makeshift camp located in Red Butte Canyon.

Before the shooting, Austin Boutain and his wife Kathleen Boutain were camped out in Red Butte Canyon due to a homicide charge in Colorado from the prior week.

When taken to jail, Mrs. Boutain was treated for unknown physical injuries due to Monday’s incident preceding the attempted carjacking. Later in a police interview, Mrs. Boutain stated that she was assaulted by her husband after she implied that “Austin was a coward.”

Before October 30, the Boutain’s were camping out underneath a bridge in Golden, Colorado. While camping, they encountered 63 year old Mitchell Bradford Ingle. After meeting, Ingle invited the Boutain’s inside his trailer at an RV park called Clear Creek. Mr. Boutain states that during the meetup, Ingle kept making sexual remarks towards Mrs. Boutain while sharing a bottle of whisky.

Mr. and Mrs. Boutain felt very offended and disgusted by the interaction and planned on killing and robbing Mitchell once he went to sleep. During the late night, Mr. Boutain snuck into the RV he pulled out and aimed a crossbow at Ingle’s head. After pulling the trigger of the crossbow it became jammed but still awoke Mitchell to the point that Austin had to improvise and asked him if he could use the restroom located in the RV. When exiting the bathroom, Mr. Boutain walked up to Mitchell and slit his throat, killing him instantly.

When Mr. Boutain finished stabbing and killing Ingle, him and his wife proceeded with their plan and additionally stole blankets, three guns, clothes, money, and Ingle’s green pickup truck.

After the shooting of Guo, local police authorities launched a thorough manhunt throughout the foothills above Red Butte Garden by sending out sniper teams and armoured vehicles. Fifteen hours later, Mr. Boutain was identified by a librarian in a downtown Salt Lake City library located 4 miles from the crime scene.

The victim ChenWei Guo, an international student from China who was majoring in a pre-computer science degree, was described by his fellow students as smart, creative, charming, and outgoing.

David W. Perishing, the University of Utah’s president, described the shooting in an interview as a “senseless and random act of violence.” according to FOX13, Perishing also mentioned that the University is working on flying out Guo’s family to Utah.

Sources:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/10/31/shots-fired-near-university-of-utah/

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/11/16/university-of-utah-shooting-suspect-tried-to-kill-colorado-man-with-crossbow-before-robbing-him-says-court-documents/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/31/1-dead-in-university-utah-shooting-suspect-on-loose.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/10/31/university-of-utah-student-shot-and-killed-in-senseless-random-act-of-violence-officials-say/?utm_term=.f4200899c4c6

2 Comments

2 Responses to “University of Utah Shooting”

1. Ethan on January 31st, 2018 2:23 pm

I think that this article was written well and interesting.

[Reply]

2. Brittany Montiel on January 31st, 2018 2:28 pm

Wooow. How is it possible I live in Utah and didn’t hear about this

[Reply]

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Endangered Elephants

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Hawaii Residents Suffer from Volcano Eruption and Earthquake

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Syria

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Rewilding Carnivores

• University of Utah Shooting

News

If We Stop, The World Stops

• University of Utah Shooting

News

How This Year’s Legislature Annual Meeting is Going to Effect our School

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Teen is Charged for Murder of his Father and a Child

• University of Utah Shooting

News

4.5 Million Dollar Thumb

• University of Utah Shooting

News

Deep Ocean Controversy

• University of Utah Shooting

News

New Trend of the Year, “Tide Pod Challenge”

University of Utah Shooting