Destructive Damage in Florida Keys

Winds blowing in Miami, Florida. Resource: Carlos Barria

Ian Mathis, Hard News Writer

Hurricane Irma is one of the most devastating storms to hit the United States since Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Florida Keys were struck by the Hurricane on Sept. 10, 2017. The first of three major hurricanes this year. Residents of the state are now starting to cope and recover from the damage caused by Irma.

Damage varies in some areas, but can be seen across the state. Experts have estimated the storm to have caused $20-50 billion in damage. While the entire state was impacted, the Florida Keys have reportedly fared worse than any other areas. So much so that the Department of Defence stated that they may need to evacuate the Keys. The roads are lined with large piles of debris such as boats, parts of homes, blown over palm trees, etc. “It’s horrible what we saw,” said Governor Rick Scott after visiting the Florida Keys.

Damage not specific to the keys include flooded streets in many different cities and loss of electricity. In fact, 9 million Floridians lost electricity including many hospitals. “Everywhere you looked there was water,” said Mr. Jenkins, a doughnut baker from a small town in Florida.

While the number of lives lost in Irma have not surpassed the number killed in Hurricane Katrina, Irma remains one of the largest natural disasters to hit the mainland of the United States.

Although the tragedies of Irma have just struck the residents of the keys, they have started to rebuild and repair. Crew ships have started to return to the key. Major roads and highways have been reopened to the public. Many restaurants, grocery stores and hotels have reopened as well. Florida has started to regain their financial stability by bringing back tourists to the keys. It will take some time for Florida residents to recover from the damage done by Irma, but they are on their way.

Resources:

NYTimes