The Awakening of Colin Kaepernick

Nick Session, Opinion Writer

Colin Kaepernick, a former American football Quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, is currently a free agent, allegedly for his actions during the National Anthem.

His protest began August 14th, 2016, at a preseason game when he sat down during the national anthem.The first time he sat during the anthem, social media was all over him– questioning why he would do such a thing.

As a result, his coaches didn’t play him the next two games. Colin Kaepernick states,“This stand wasn’t for me. This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t.”

Kaepernick is a very humble man and doesn’t like the spotlight, but when he has the chance to step up and say something he will take the opportunity and try to make a difference. This situation died down for a while although, people were still talking about how “dumb” and “disrespectful” Kaepernick was.

That all changed on September 25th, 2017, when the President Donald Trump spoke out Kaepernick should “find a country that works better for him” because of /what  Kaepernick was starting. Along with that, he took Stephen Curry’s invitation to the White House away after he had also participated in the movement.

LeBron James went in on this story about kneeling and Trump saying that Curry is uninvited to the White House on social media. He called Trump a “Bum” and said, “The White House visit was an honor until you showed up.” In my opinion, Trump has been bringing nothing but negativity into this world since he has been president. No one likes being surrounded by negativity or nonsense.

When James spoke on the situation, other celebrities and athletes began to speak out. The situation became bigger than what it was before. Trump paid no attention to what the athletes were saying. As a  president  I think you should look at everyone’s point of view and respect where they’re are coming from, however, Trump failed to do so. Later on, he said, “Wouldn’t you love to see one these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag,’’ He continued on and said, “to say ‘Get that son of a b**** off the field right now, out. He’s fired. He’s fired!” In my opinion, Trump is in the wrong. He should not be cursing like that over social media. He is supposed to be an example to the kids and the way he speaks is very inappropriate and not president-like. When he said that, the situation was brought to the spotlight more so than it already has because he ignored what people were saying about the national anthem and said something so vulgar. Trump ridiculous for all the commotion he has been causing and he’s not doing anything but harming himself. Right now, it’s Everyone vs. Trump.

Numerous NBA and NFL coaches and players spoke on the controversial topic During the National Anthem, on September 25, 2017, the whole team, including the NFL team owners, were taking knees and protesting with them. Gregg Popovich, another NBA figure, spoke on how crazy Trump is and how crazy this world is for voting for that man. All these athletes, coaches, and owners stood up and said something, but nothing seems to get across President Trump’s mind. He continued to go on with the nonsense, and people don’t understand why seeing as though the people are protesting in peace. Even Trump, during the anthem, doesn’t have his hand over his heart, he just has his arms to the side.

All of this is still currently happening, and until a change is made, this movement will not end. There will be news and talk about it on social media and etc. One day, this movement will make a difference in this world. Kaepernick hasn’t been too loud in this whole affair, but at the end, he will be a historical figure for starting this movement and because of the controversy Kaepernick has filed a grievance.