Could they win it all? Is Paul the answer?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evan Madsen

Over this summer during the NBA offseason the Oklahoma City Thunder made a big move to acquire All Star forward Paul George.

Paul George was drafted to the Indiana Pacers tenth overall in the 2010 NBA draft.

Since then, George has put in work  for the Pacers averaging 18.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists, and 1.7 steals over his career. That being said,  Paul George had his best season yet during the 2016-2017 season, averaging 23.7 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 1.59 steals.

When the deal happened on July 6, it was a big shock to the sports community– since Paul’s contract ends just next year and trading him for valuable assets is a great risk to the Thunder because they don’t know for sure if they will lose him to free agency.

To receive George the Thunder had to trade shooting guard Victor Oladipo and forward Domantas Sabonis to Indiana.

The Oklahoma City Thunder and the Indiana pacers both benefited in this situation, according to the general public. The Pacers would have lost Paul George any way if they didn’t trade him away due to how his contract ends next year and how he said openly that he’s going to test free agency when his contract ends.

This was a great move for the Pacers because instead of losing a player and gaining nothing back they were smart and traded for two players that they think can be their future.

The Thunder organization and to the Thunder fans, they were elated to be a part of this trade. Vice President and General Manager of Oklahoma Sam Presti made the statement, “We are excited to welcome Paul George to the Thunder family and the Oklahoma City community.”

The Thunder feel very confident in their persuasion skills and how they can convince Paul George to sign with them when his contract ends.

In this upcoming season the Oklahoma City Thunder is definitely a team to watch to see how well they will compete in the tough west coast conference. They will be facing teams like the Warriors, the Timberwolves, San Antonio, and the Rockets.

Thunder

Evan Madsen, Sports Writer

Evan Sondergaard Madsen is an eleventh grader at East High School. He plays lacrosse on the varsity lacrosse team. In his spare time he enjoys Table Tennis,...