Trump Fires F.B.I Director James Comey

Kristi Harris & Randy Perez, Hard News Editor and Hard News Writer

F.B.I director, James Comey was the lead investigator in an investigation of President Trump’s advisor, Carter Page. Comey was investigating whether they collaborated with the Russian government to determine the outcome of the 2016 presidential election. Trump felt that Comey was handling the investigation poorly. Trump benefitted from Comey’s choice in contacting Hillary Clinton, however, was not pleased with Comey’s performance. “While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgement of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the bureau,” Trump states in his letter to Comey dated Tuesday, May 9, 2017.

On May 9, 2017, Trump’s staff states that Comey was fired due to a suggestion by Rod Rosenstein in a memo. In the memo, Rosenstein concludes that Comey’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s email investigation was indefensible.

On May 11, 2017 Trump goes on a NBC interview in which he states, “When I decided to fire Comey, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story.” According to a memo by Comey, Trump had asked him to, “…stop the investigation into Flynn.” Trump had asked “Mr. Pence and Attorney General Jeff Sessions to leave the room except for Comey.”

The reaction to this flurry information in Washington was brutal. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, says that due to Trump’s backlash, it could raise suspicion of a cover-up. The fact that Trump had already fired his acting attorney general and his national security advisor, raises more questions about the investigation of Trump.

Senator Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona said on Twitter, “I’ve spent the last several hours trying to find an acceptable rationale for the timing of Comey’s firing.” Michael T. Flynn, White House National security advisor, is being investigated for his financial ties to Russia and Turkey. The Subpoenas issued by Virginia’s grand jury relating to Flynn, may or may not have been a factor in Comey’s dismissal. This was an end to the tense relationship of Trump and Comey, publically and personally.

This situation was seen as a repeat in history rewinding back to 1993, when President Bill Clinton fired William S. Sessions, an F.B.I official for abusing his office. A further back incident was in 1973, when President Richard M. Nixon unexpectedly fired Archibald Cox, the special prosecutor looking into the so-called third-rate burglary that would eventually bring Nixon down.

Resources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/politics/james-comey-fired-fbi.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/politics/trump-fbi-investigation-nixon.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Trump Fires F.B.I Director James Comey”

1. Ashley Vargas on May 24th, 2017 2:30 pm

I think Trump doesn’t think before he takes action and that’s not a good quality for a leader to have. We should be wary of him and his actions and not let him overpass boundaries later on just because he’s the president.

[Reply]

2. Alyssa on May 25th, 2017 8:31 am

This topic is extremely relevant because it’s more of a repetition to previous history involving different presidents and different incidents of FBI Directors. Although Trump states he didn’t leak information to Russia, the press says otherwise. This is a big deal now because not only does this affect James Comey but affects the safety of the U.S.

[Reply]

Trump Fires F.B.I Director James Comey