Current State of Global Politics

Randy Perez, News

A recent surge of populist sentiment in countries across the world has made the world more divided.

The US is a great example of that. The 2016 elections put the “liberal elite” vs. the “modern conservative.” Two very different groups who don’t seem to agree on most things. These two groups live on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but not everyone. One is for globalization, the other is against. One wants more American jobs back, the other thinks it’s those jobs won’t come back. One side thinks legal/illegal immigrants are essential to the US, the other thinks we should protect our borders more.

The UK’s 2016 referendum to leave the EU was also an example of a divided country. People who voted for a Brexit believed that the UK should be able to control their own borders regarding refugees and immigrants. Under the European Union’s Schengen Borders Code all countries that reside and follow the Schengen area rules have low-security borders. This laid-back border control system allows for easier access to countries like; France, Germany, Italy, and the UK. The referendum also allowed the UK to put their own price on exported goods. As well as getting a new Prime Minister, Theresa May. The previous Prime Minister gave up his position stating, “But the British people made a different decision to take a different path. As such the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction.”

Italy also had their own referendum on constitutional reform in 2016. Theirs, if voted yes, would remove power from the Senate to ultimately vote on proposed bills. Matteo Renzi, Prime Minister at the time, was on the “Yes” side. Former comedian turned politician, Beppe Grillo, led the “No” side and the anti-establishment Five Star Movement. Like Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP, an anti-EU political party, Grillo had strong sentiments against the EU. Grillo’s main concern was with the Italian economy, which hasn’t been in great shape in recent years. Ultimately, Italy voted “No” and this calls for an early 2017 election with a strong chance of 5SM winning the popular vote.

This recent surge of populist sentiment is not unsurprising considering the fear that affects the west. Fear is the strongest weapon to sway voters and there is a surplus of fear around the globe. No particular subject is at fault but, it is important to let logic drive the voters, not fear.