Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Sam Skurnik

On Wednesday April 19 2017, former NFL tight end Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his jail cell. The cause of death was found to be that Hernandez had hung himself with his own bedsheets. Hernandez was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for murdering his sister’s boyfriend, Odin Lloyd. He received his sentence in 2013 after a short but spectacular career as a Tight End. Hernandez was selected in the 3rd round of the 2010 NFL draft by the New England Patriots. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2011 and was part of the Patriots team that went to Super Bowl XLVI. Aaron Hernandez and Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski quickly became one of the most dynamic duos in the game. During Hernandez’s career, he and Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski accounted for 56 of Brady’s 109 touchdowns in those years. After making a name for himself, Hernandez signed a 5 year $40 million contract extension with the Patriots. But not even a year later, Hernandez committed a crime that ruined everything in life he worked for.

Odin Lloyd was a semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits. He was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancée. On June 17, 2013, Odin Lloyd made plans to hang out with Aaron Hernandez and his friends. Hernandez went to Lloyd’s house to pick him up at around 2 a.m. Later that night, Lloyd was shot and killed in an industrial park not a mile away from Hernandez’s home. On June 26, Hernandez was arrested on a murder charge and was taken from his home in handcuffs. He pleaded not guilty. A few hours later, the Patriots released him. The trial for Hernandez started on January 9, 2015 and ended on April 15, 2015. Hernandez was convicted of first degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. After nearly two years in prison, Hernandez went on trial again for a double murder of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado who both were killed in 2012. The case ended on April 14, 2017 and the jury found him not guilty. Five days later, Hernandez ended his life, leaving behind a fiancé and a four year old daughter.

Aaron Hernandez’s brain will be donated to a CTE center for research. CTE is a brain disease found in athletes and others who have a history of repetitive brain trauma. CTE stands for chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Former NFL player Junior Seau committed suicide and suffered from CTE, the research center will test to see if CTE led to suicide for Aaron Hernandez. It is unknown if Hernandez has suffered from CTE.

17 Comments

17 Responses to “Aaron Hernandez dies at 27”

1. Lupita Estrada on May 23rd, 2017 1:56 pm

I personally think it was an interesting article, I didn’t know he passed away. It was shocking knowing he murdered someone and being a NFL player.

[Reply]

2. Mireya Maldonado on May 23rd, 2017 2:04 pm

Is there anything in specific that causes CTC (randomly) or does a person develop into the trauma over time due to traumatizing events.

[Reply]

3. Ayden Armstrong on May 23rd, 2017 2:11 pm

I found this to be a very interesting article that had lots of details. I didn’t know that Hernandez had committed suicide.

[Reply]

4. sabrine hassen on May 23rd, 2017 2:12 pm

This article really caught my attention because I also heard about this on the news, sad to see a life being taken over stupid choices made without thinking of the consequences.

[Reply]

5. Jenifer Moreno on May 23rd, 2017 2:15 pm

i personally was not aware that he passed. Yet once you do something bad you have to deal with the consequences . R.I.P.

[Reply]

6. Diego Ceja on May 23rd, 2017 2:18 pm

Its crazy because I used to watch Aron Hernandez play football and when i heard he murdered one of his friends it was crazy.It was even more crazy when they pleaded him not guilty for the murder and then when he killed himself and left behind those bloody signs on the walls and notes.

[Reply]

7. rey on May 23rd, 2017 2:20 pm

can’t believe he hung him self in jail cell that’s very sad to hear that football player went to jail for murdering. that really sucks that he died at the age of 27 sad article but good detail.

[Reply]

8. sione angilau jr B 5/6 on May 24th, 2017 1:43 pm

Good job with all the information it really opened my eyes. I am shocked because NFL is all I want to do and to see how many chances he got and still made the wrong decision is crazy. Overall it was interesting to read thanks.

[Reply]

9. Johan cortes on May 24th, 2017 1:45 pm

This article caught my attention because I’ve heard it all over the news. Very good detail and Its really sad that he took the decision and left his fiance and his 4 year old daughter.

[Reply]

10. Tieni Tupou on May 24th, 2017 1:51 pm

This is a well written article and it really had me thinking what goes on in the persons mind in the final moments of their life? He was a good player who was on a good team but it was his decision that had ended him up where he was at.

[Reply]

11. Henry Ewing on May 24th, 2017 2:00 pm

Very interesting article. I think he had the potential to be a star, and it’s very sad that he had to end his life.

[Reply]

12. sam vakalahi on May 24th, 2017 2:11 pm

This article is really shocking. I heard about this and how there is a lot of reasons on why he committed suicide. A main reason I heard is to allow his daughter to receive money from the NFL.

[Reply]

13. Devon O'Brian on May 25th, 2017 8:17 am

Sam is always ready to tackle the hardest topics, it is absolutely fantastic. I love that you stated his accomplishments and then said what he did. You never seize to amaze.

[Reply]

14. JAMES KNIGHT on May 25th, 2017 8:25 am

This article caught my attention because it is just so shocking! I actually really admired Aaron Hernandez as a tight end and remember watching him play on TV in the super bowl. I honestly believed that Hernandez and Gronkowski would be the greatest tight end duo in history. I could not believe it when he was tried and found guilty of murder after being such a beloved player. I wish his family and friends well and hope he gains forgiveness and goes to a better place.

[Reply]

15. jackson conley on May 25th, 2017 8:35 am

this article was awesome, it had everything, the detail that was put into this article was great. its wierd to think when he was 22 he was considered one of the best TE that year and now 5 years later he is dead.

[Reply]

16. Abram Villegas on May 25th, 2017 8:36 am

R.I.P to this young man. It is very sad to see a talented man commit suicide. “A 5 year $40 million contract extension with the Patriots. But not even a year later, Hernandez committed a crime that ruined everything in life he worked for.” Tragic.

[Reply]

17. luciano acosta on May 25th, 2017 8:50 am

I don’t really watch foot ball but this caught my eye sad to hear that he commit suicide only after couple years of joining. well rip man, this was a pretty interesting article.

[Reply]

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Showcase

The Rivalry Continues Between the Bulls and Celtics

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: The Art of Soccer

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Editor's Corner

Diverse but Segregated

• Opinion

How the Arts Help Students

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Arts and Entertainment

The Victorious Outcome of The East High Drama Club

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Opinion

What is a Dictatorship?

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

News

Domestic Violence Involving Firearms

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

News

Salt Lake County Will Likely Refuse Trump’s Immigration Policies

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: Things To Do

• Aaron Hernandez dies at 27

Arts and Entertainment

2017 World Press Photo Competition

Aaron Hernandez dies at 27