The Buzz of the Beehive: Eccles Theater

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Buzz of the Beehive: Eccles Theater

http://www.111mainslc.com/wp-content/uploads/amenity_images/web_full/Eccles_PAC_2-full.jpg

Emma Flood, Arts and Entertainment Writer

All of the busy bees in our beehive state have been buzzing about breathtaking building on the corner of Main Street for quite sometime. The George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Theater will be opening on October 21st, 2016 after 50 years of dreaming, 8 years of planning, and 2 years of building. There will be a three-day celebration on the weekend of the grand opening starting with a black tie event with a premiere performance on October 21st at 7:30pm. On October 22nd, the community is invited to view the venue while enjoying free community arts entertainment from 10am-5pm. October 23rd will conclude the celebration with a free performance in the Delta Performance Hall from 8:30am-10am, followed by an open house from 10am-2pm. More information can be found here

The theater will be featuring Broadway shows like Hamilton, Dirty Dancing, Newsies, Cinderella, the Book of Mormon, Kinky Boots, and many more. Not only will Broadway shows be featured there, but so will local events, performances, and national productions. The Delta Performance Hall will be able to hold 2,500 people (even bigger than the Capital Theater, which only holds 1,800 people) along with a small black box theater that holds 150 people. The theater will also feature a terrazzo floor that has been completed by local artist Laura Sharp Wilson. It will be featured in the grand lobby of the theater and represents different groups of people who live in the Salt Lake Valley.

The theater is located on 131 South Main Street in downtown Salt Lake City, which is very easy to get to using Trax and other forms of public transformation. Tickets will be available here.

Sources:
Deseret News
Tickets
KUTV

Photo by Main 111

As a junior at East, this is Emma Flood’s first year in journalism (and at the school). She’s super excited to be writing about arts and entertainment...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The Buzz of the Beehive: Eccles Theater”

1. Lolohea Laloni on October 7th, 2016 6:31 am

I actually didn’t know that the building was a Theater… Not only is it theater, but it will also be showing Broadway shows too? Dude I’m so excited to see whats to come from it.

2. Tommy on October 7th, 2016 10:36 am

This is a well written article. I really like the title. There is a small grammatical error near the beginning of the article. You say “All of the busy bees in our beehive state have been buzzing about breathtaking building on the corner of Main Street for quite some time.” I think there is supposed to be an “a” between “about” and “breathtaking”. I really like how informative this article is and how it successfully got me excited for the new Theater.

3. Trever elders on October 10th, 2016 6:05 pm

You go gurl!

4. Avery Richard Millar on October 11th, 2016 6:48 am

I absolutely love that you wrote this article because I love theater. I am so glad to know that there is a theater being built that will show broadway musicals. Thank you for writing this

• The Buzz of the Beehive: Eccles Theater

Arts and Entertainment

The Hate U Give Movie Review

Arts and Entertainment

Travis Scott and the Album of the Year

Arts and Entertainment

Influential Movies of the 2000’s

Arts and Entertainment

Hip Hop/Rap Artists Speaking Out

Arts and Entertainment

Is Your Smartphone Listening?

Arts and Entertainment

Substances Abuse Among Artists

Arts and Entertainment

End of Year Luau

Arts and Entertainment

Drake Accused of Stealing Artwork for EP

• Arts and Entertainment

I, Tonya Movie Review

Arts and Entertainment

Unsolved Mysteries

The Buzz of the Beehive: Eccles Theater