The Victorious Outcome of The East High Drama Club

Aliya Lewis, Arts and Entertainment Writer

East High’s drama club took part in a Statewide Drama One Act Competition and the outcome was amazing. The Statewide Drama One Acts are a competition where different high schools compete by performing one act plays. East High’s Drama Club performed Of Mice and Men. There are multiple steps to performing in the Statewide Drama One Act Competition.

The first step is the qualifying round. The Drama Club performed their play that they had submitted into the competition here at East High. This performance was open to all students, staff, and families. This was considered an entry level performance that got the word out about their performance and the competition.

The second step is being accepted into Regionals and performing their play at the second part of the competition there. All of the schools participating in this competition came together and performed against the other schools in their region. The best schools from each region move forward in the competition. All the other schools that didn’t get chosen to move forward were eliminated from the competition.

At Regionals, East High School’s Drama Club members received a lot of amazing awards for all of their hard work and dedication they put into their play and the competition as a whole. The members of the DC put in a lot of time and effort to practice, memorize their lines, and work together to make the play a success. Certain members of the DC have received awards for their outstanding performances in the play. Thomas Loveridge received an award for Best Actor when he performed as Lennie. Joshua Teeples received an award for Best Supporting Actor when he performed as Curley. Last, but certainly not least, Archer Anderson received an award for Best Character Actor when he performed as Candy. Let’s not forget all of the other members of the Drama Club who put in all their time, effort, hard work, and dedication into this production.

Finally, there was the performance at states where all of the best schools from all of the region competitions compete against each other to determine the final winners. The performance took place at Canyon High.

This competition was a great way for students of all high school ages to have a creative outlet while participating in friendly competition.

http://www.easthightheatre.org/copy-of-awards-2016

11 Comments

11 Responses to “The Victorious Outcome of The East High Drama Club”

1. Avery Millar on May 23rd, 2017 1:57 pm

Aliya, I really enjoyed reading your article about the drama competition. I found it really interesting when I read about the steps that it took to get to the national competition. Thank you for the information you have provided

[Reply]

2. Israel on May 23rd, 2017 2:15 pm

I really enjoyed hearing about this exciting event and i look forward to hearing more from our wonderful drama club.
    The detail of the event was marvelous and easily explained the competition

[Reply]

3. Wyatt Dean on May 24th, 2017 1:42 pm

Congrats to the east high drama club, without this article I wouldn’t have known about the virtues of the east high drama club. The article is short and to the point, it provides all the info you need and sends you on your way, very nice.

[Reply]

4. Julius on May 24th, 2017 1:46 pm

I find it great that people have found their passion and even get honored and awarded for their hard work and dedication. Great job at explaining the steps that happened to get into regions.

[Reply]

5. Jessalyn Herrera on May 24th, 2017 2:10 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article and hearing about the many awards that the drama club students won at regionals. It was also interesting to learn about the hard work and dedication they put into Of Mice And Men.

[Reply]

6. Buddy McClelland on May 24th, 2017 2:17 pm

I’m glad to know that the Drama club was recognized for there hard work they put into to make wonderful productions. I myself am apart the theater club and got to go to the competitions with the cast Of Mice and Men and it amazing to watch first hand.

[Reply]

7. kodiak on May 25th, 2017 8:42 am

Its good to see the drama club finally get some well deserved recognition.

[Reply]

8. luciano acosta on May 25th, 2017 8:44 am

well I’m glad you guys did this you guys work really hard on your guys play I enjoy going to your guys plays. its pretty interesting that you guys did this

[Reply]

9. Oscar Arriaga on May 25th, 2017 8:54 am

I really like this article and reading more about drama club. I wouldn’t be a part of drama class but it seem interesting.

[Reply]

10. Jorge Garcia on May 25th, 2017 9:03 am

I’m part of Stage Crew and I’ve seen the play, and we got 2nd place for one act. I’m glad we did, really was fun watching other 2 plays. I’m glad one of our students in this school got best actor. This article shows great detail and how it was. Great article.

[Reply]

11. Kayla Lien on May 30th, 2017 12:16 pm

This is a great article, very detailed and clear. I’m proud of the actors in the Club.

[Reply]

• The Victorious Outcome of The East High Drama Club

Showcase

The Rivalry Continues Between the Bulls and Celtics

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: The Art of Soccer

Editor's Corner

Diverse but Segregated

• Opinion

How the Arts Help Students

Opinion

What is a Dictatorship?

News

Domestic Violence Involving Firearms

News

Salt Lake County Will Likely Refuse Trump’s Immigration Policies

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: Things To Do

Arts and Entertainment

2017 World Press Photo Competition

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: High School Musical