Is Hip-Hop Dead?

The state of hip hop is a very grey area now a days. There are a lot of people who think rap is at a peak time and there are a ton of talented rappers who have a lot of potential. There are others who will not listen to anything that has come out after 2010. There are different opinions on every artist out right now and there are a ton of different types of rap. Some people hate it and some people love it. But, there are people who say, “hip hop is dead,” and that couldn’t be further from the truth.

There are many different genres of music in the world and almost all of those genres have subgenres within the genre. Rock has countless subgenres such as classic, metal, alternative metal, grunge, etc. Country has a lot of subgenres too, like, bluegrass, honky tonk, alternative country, etc. But in rap, when people try to make subgenres, they get looked at as a disgrace, like they’re doing something wrong. All they aren’t doing what the old school rappers did. They aren’t telling a story or speaking on a problem in the world. This is the older generation who grew up in the 90’s and grew up listening to rappers like 2pac, Biggie, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, etc. Who are all great and all have dope music in their own right. But hip hop is not dead in any way. There are a lot of rappers now who can tell stories and speak on problems in the world. But these “old heads” are blind to that and won’t even acknowledge their existence. Yes, there are so called “mumble rappers” that don’t really say much in their lyrics and are mostly for clubs and for people to party to. Which isn’t for everyone, but I don’t think all rock fans like every subgenre of rock or every country fan likes every kind of country. They probably have a favorite genre that they listen to more than others. But in rap this can’t happen? It just doesn’t make sense.

People act like rap had a written rule book that you can’t break because it is sacred or something. No one can try anything new or else the music you make is terrible and trash. Rap is the only genre of music where people act like that. Where they will hate it because it sounds different and unique.  I get it, it’s not your type of music and you don’t like it, but why can’t you just leave it alone and let other people like it? I think there is something for everyone in hip hop nowadays. There is the “mumble rap” that is on the radio and everyone parties to. Which I think has it’s place because a lot of people like to party and turn up. Then there are the rappers who just make great sounding music with great production and lyrics about money, clothes and the luxury life. Which sounds great and anyone can have that in the background while they work out or while they are on the road cruising. Then as much as people will tell you this isn’t true, there still are lyricists and rappers who tell stories. Some of them, dare I say it, are just as good as the rappers back in the day. Rappers like Kendrick and J.Cole are leading the new school with MC skills that measure up to those who came before them. There are many types of hip hop and a kind for everyone to enjoy. In my opinion, rap is in it’s, best form and is the most diverse it has been in the history of the genre. But people will never see that because they won’t look deeper than the surface.

The reason some people think rap is dead is because the rap that is advertised is “mumble rap.” Rappers like Lil Uzi, Lil Yachty, 21 Savage, etc. Rappers who don’t really rap with much meaning or have any lyrics at all. They all have their own talent and are very unique with their sound, but they aren’t for everyone, especially old school hip hop heads. Platforms like Complex, and XXL promote their music and push them as the next big thing.These publications are not really shining light on the underground artists who would appeal more to the old school hip hop heads. Kendrick Lamar is one of the few exceptions. He is a very lyrical rapper and talks about conscious problems throughout the world and he is pushed by the mainstream. Kendrick is not only the greatest rapper of this generation but he is also one of the greatest hip hop artists of all time. He is one of the most creative rappers we have ever had and makes great sounding music. His music is slower and very lyrical, it’s not really meant to be played in the club to party to. So, just like the mumble rappers aren’t for everyone, neither is one of the greatest artists ever. But they both have their place in hip hop. Just like I feel like all these artists do. A lot of these artists are making money doing something they love saving them from a life of drugs and gang relation. But there are still people who don’t want them to succeed or be rich just because they don’t like their music. I get if someone is a bad person and you don’t want to support them, but wanting them to fail is just bitter and the definition of being a hater. You don’t have to like their music but to say hip hop is dead based on a couple artists is just asinine. You may have to dig a little but there are artists out there for every hip hop fan. Which I don’t think can be said about any other generation of rap.

If you’re looking for good music to listen to from the new age of hip-hop, here’s a few artist’s to start with. Joey Bada$$ is one of the best lyricist’s we have in rap today. He touches on real world problems, preaches what he believes in, and is very good with his words. I would recommend him to anyone that is a fan of traditional hip-hop. Another artist that I personally love is an artist named Russ. He is an up and coming rapper/singer who gained a following all by himself. With no label behind him or any big name producer pushing his name into the mainstream. He made all of his beats on his own, wrote all of his raps, sang all of his songs, and promoted his music all by himself. He really can be an inspiration to anyone, not just rappers. That you can really chase your dreams and have success without the help of others. His music is very diverse and can range from straight old school hip-hop, to soul/R&B, not to mention his voice is very good and sounds like it is improving with every song. Logic is an up and coming artist who is an amazing lyricist and a great story teller. He tells stories about growing up biracial and not knowing how to identify himself. He makes himself very vulnerable in his music which makes his music very relatable to a lot of people.

So is Hip-Hop dead? Or is it more alive than it has ever been? There are so many great artists that are making music right now. Hip Hop has so much variety and there are so many up and coming artists that are keeping hip hop alive. There is an artist and a sound for any kind of hip hop fan nowadays. There are lyricists like Kendrick, Joey Bada$$, J Cole, and Logic who tell stories and speak on the world’s problems. Then there are club rappers who make music you can turn up to like, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, Kodak Black, and Playboi Carti. They make music without much substance but use booming instrumentals to overlap their lack of lyrics. Then there are rappers like Drake, Russ, Wale, and Rick Ross who just make great music that is catchy and you can’t get enough of. If you can’t find music you like and you claim to be a hip hop fan, I don’t think you really are one. Hip Hop is very much alive. Maybe more alive than it has ever been.

26 Comments

26 Responses to “Is Hip-Hop Dead?”

1. Ashton Gardiner on May 23rd, 2017 1:54 pm

I like how you mentioned that the rappers these days don’t talk about their feelings or tell stories. That is very true compared to the 90’s music where they did talk about their life stories.

[Reply]

2. Carmen on May 23rd, 2017 2:01 pm

I like how you actually explained the whole concept of peoples feelings towards rap.

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

One more sentence.

[Reply]

3. Alex on May 23rd, 2017 2:07 pm

I not only agree with you but I listen to most of the lyricist you have listed, such as Kendrick, Joey, J Cole, and Logic. Logic is one of the rappers I watched progress from him having a mic and pillows in a basement as a studio to him now, living in a very large house along side a guest house with his professional studio in the basement with much better equipment. I agree with you that rap and hip hop have different sub genres and that people say its dead because they stop searching for which ones they enjoy or like to listen to.

[Reply]

4. Ozzly rallis on May 23rd, 2017 2:09 pm

I don’t believe that hip-Hop is dead. They might be less popular due to Trap music, however it isn’t dead. Hip-Hop and rap are some of the genres that have had steady growth.

[Reply]

5. Avery Millar on May 23rd, 2017 2:11 pm

I really like how you talked about how hip hop is far from dead, it just isnt the same. I really agree with what you stated in your article

[Reply]

6. rey on May 23rd, 2017 2:15 pm

you’re title really caught my attention to be honest and i started reading it and you put very good detail to it. i love how you really explained the whole concept of people feelings about rap.

[Reply]

7. Froilan Pimentel on May 23rd, 2017 2:16 pm

Rap has been going down hill for me, I mean I still listen to it and Its my favorite music genre but at least we still have rappers like Cole, Kendrick, and Bada$$. Very Great article by the way!

[Reply]

8. Lolohea Laloni on May 23rd, 2017 2:17 pm

I like how you mention the rappers now-a-days don’t really express their emotions into their music and it’s true they don’t. To be honest, they don’t, I come from a household where we would listen to old hip hop from like 2pac days and even music before him, known as the “olddies”. Don’t get me wrong, the music now is catchy, but I’d rather listen to music where the artist can explain their life story or express their emotion in their music than listening to music about sex, drugs, and money. I’d rather be Simpin than Pimpin. Your article was pretty good though, way to go into details about the genre of hiphop.

[Reply]

9. Jason Robb on May 23rd, 2017 2:22 pm

I really like how strong you presented your counterpoint to the common ideology. Especially how you gave real examples to support you.

[Reply]

10. sabrine hassen on May 23rd, 2017 2:26 pm

Hip hop is not dead but it has for sure changed in so many ways from older day hip hop. But this is interesting to know how other people feel about something we here everyday.

[Reply]

11. Nunia Latu on May 23rd, 2017 2:27 pm

I like how you describe hip hop these days and kids these days just love listening to those types of hip hop artist. But I think everyone low key listens to this new generation of hip hop.

[Reply]

12. Tieni Tupou on May 24th, 2017 1:43 pm

Rap now is way different compared to back then rap music. Today rap is all about the same thing girls, money, and drugs. Old rap music had a story to tell behind it today’s rap music just aint the same as the old ones used to be.

[Reply]

13. Jadin Afuvai on May 24th, 2017 1:49 pm

I like how you used the fact that rappers these days don’t really use feelings these days. It is true because rappers now a day kinda don’t make sense. All you really hear in songs now a days are bad words or how I shot him how I got all this money.

[Reply]

14. Henry Ewing on May 24th, 2017 1:50 pm

I don’t think hip hop music will die any time soon. Just because it’s recent doesn’t mean it’s bad. It could be, but that has nothing to do with it. I myself love a little variety in my music. Sometimes I’m in the mood for club music, and sometimes I’m in the mood for deeper, lyrical stuff. Not everyone is going to have the same taste.

[Reply]

15. sione angilau jr B 5/6 on May 24th, 2017 1:57 pm

Yes I agree now hip hop is just girls, money and drugs but before it was real, people rapped about there hardships. Overall great job and keep going!

[Reply]

16. brianna on May 24th, 2017 2:02 pm

i don’t believe hip hop is dead but i do agree that most rappers now a days don’t talk about their personal emotions but we do have some that do talk about life. I also like how you compared it the old generation to the new generation.

[Reply]

17. Nathalie Ramirez on May 24th, 2017 2:17 pm

I don’t think hip pop is dead. I just think they need to show their real emotions.

[Reply]

18. Mike on May 24th, 2017 2:24 pm

There are a lot of interesting points brought up, it was very well written, and it was good to bring up and look at all points of view,

[Reply]

19. Alberto Carrillo on May 24th, 2017 2:24 pm

I agree with this article it is true rap is dead now the popular songs only talk about money and cars, basically everything the own and how rich they are. Popular rappers don’t talk about their feeling or they just write with no purpose.

[Reply]

20. Abram Villegas on May 25th, 2017 8:26 am

“In my opinion, rap is in it’s, best form and is the most diverse it has been in the history of the genre.” That right there is the part that made this whole article really good. I don’t enjoy the new rap too much but it is nice to have people like their own taste and not judge them.

[Reply]

21. Jenny Bui on May 25th, 2017 8:29 am

Hip hop is certainly not dead but hip hop has changed a lot. I agree with what you said about rappers nowadays don’t really rap with much meaning or have any lyrics at all. Rappers back in the day rapped about their feelings and they told stories but now its about drugs etc. The music is still good and i do listen to it so that’s why i think that hip hop isn’t dead.

[Reply]

22. Christina on May 25th, 2017 8:33 am

This articles specked the truth about rappers these days, i think it was cool how you suggested some rappers to listen too. As well how you went to detail about every thing you talked about,

[Reply]

23. JAMES KNIGHT on May 25th, 2017 8:35 am

Don’t judge me for saying this. But I believe that Hip-Hop isn’t dead. People are starting to widen their perspective on the trash lyrics and the hard- underground talk that supposedly shouldn’t be heard by the public. One of the reasons for all these different opinions is that people are starting to understand and they have understood for many years that all that hidden trash talk isn’t really hidden. I don’t believe people should regulate what people say in music because they have the right to say what they think is entertaining and what they think will leave a lasting impression on people. If that means getting “too personal” , that’s fine with me as long as they understand that they may be given grief by the public over what they say and can handle that. BUT YES, RAP WILL LIVE ON!

[Reply]

24. kodiak on May 25th, 2017 8:44 am

This was a very interesting article. It brought up points and showed things that I had no previous knowledge on.

[Reply]

25. octavio becerra on May 25th, 2017 9:03 am

i really like how you wrote the many point of views people have or might have. this is really a great article

[Reply]

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Showcase

The Rivalry Continues Between the Bulls and Celtics

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: The Art of Soccer

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Editor's Corner

Diverse but Segregated

• Opinion

How the Arts Help Students

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Arts and Entertainment

The Victorious Outcome of The East High Drama Club

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Opinion

What is a Dictatorship?

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

News

Domestic Violence Involving Firearms

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

News

Salt Lake County Will Likely Refuse Trump’s Immigration Policies

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Arts and Entertainment

The Buzz of the Beehive: Things To Do

• Is Hip-Hop Dead?

Arts and Entertainment

2017 World Press Photo Competition

Is Hip-Hop Dead?