The Buzz of the Beehive: The Art of Soccer

Photo+by+Emma+Flood
Photo by Emma Flood

Photo by Emma Flood

Photo by Emma Flood

Emma Flood, Arts and Entertainment

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Although there is no precise date of when the world’s most popular sport began, historians believe that a form of the ball game has been played for at least the past 3,000 years. Soccer (also known as “football” or “futbol” around the world) is a game where two teams play against each other with eleven players. The common goal is to get the ball into the net of the other team without the ball getting into theirs. Soccer started becoming popular in Europe after the first international soccer match was played between England and Scotland in 1872 and spread widely from that point forward. Today, soccer is enjoyed all over the world with its highest paid athlete being Christiano Ronaldo, a player for Real Madrid, whose earnings in 2016 were $82 million dollars.

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, art is “the making or doing of something whose purpose is to bring pleasure to people through their enjoyment of what is beautiful and interesting, or things often made for this purpose,” and that is exactly what soccer is. Olivier Giroud, a forward for Arsenal and the France national team, once said, “I will play to create history and enjoy myself and give pleasure to the fans.” Soccer is not only art in the sense that its purpose is to entertain and bring pleasure, it is art in the sense that soccer players put on quite a performance. Flopping (also known as “diving”) is intentionally falling to the ground or stumbling to make it seem like an opponent made a foul, likely by exaggerating the amount of contact they had made.

“It’s just a part of the game. I don’t love it or hate it and there’s not a bunch you can do about it. But if it’s gonna help my team win, I’m gonna do it,” one of East High School’s varsity soccer captains and top point leader, Matt Barker, shared on flopping. Another one of the varsity soccer captains and a MountainStar Healthcare Athlete of Week 38, Trever Elders, thinks that, “Sometimes [flopping] it’s necessary to do if you need a goal. If you’re in the box and need a penalty kick, flopping can sometimes be the only way.” Be sure to catch these Leopards at Rio Tinto on May 25th at 7:00pm for State Finals against Alta!

(This article will be updated after the game)

In 2014, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art had an exhibit that included over 30 artists from around the world who depicted soccer from the perspective of fans, players, critics, and spectators to celebrate the World Cup. Among the 50 pieces of art at the exhibit, “Fútbol: The Beautiful Game” were paintings and video installations along with abstract works of art. James Farago in “The beautiful game: Is football art?” describes it as, “a timely exhibition, and not only thanks to the World Cup, since many of the themes that contemporary artists have engaged with in the last few decades – from the construction of media events to the globalization of culture to the politics of the body – overlap with the beautiful game itself.”

Sources:

Print Friendly

33 Comments

33 Responses to “The Buzz of the Beehive: The Art of Soccer”

1. Froilan Pimentel on May 23rd, 2017 1:54 pm

Ive played soccer since I was 4 and I love it! I did not know much about the history of soccer and this absolutely amazes me.

2. Davis Wright on May 23rd, 2017 2:00 pm

This is a very cool topic to write about and you did a good job writing it. It was very interesting to read.

3. Karina on May 23rd, 2017 2:05 pm

I like the idea of soccer being turned into art and up in display for others to see. People can now see that a sport can be interpreted in many ways and not just by playing or watching a sport.

4. Ayden Armstrong on May 23rd, 2017 2:08 pm

I found this article really interesting and though it gave great information about the history of soccer. I really liked the players comments and wish them the best at state!

5. Lolohea Laloni on May 23rd, 2017 2:08 pm

Beautiful! well done, way to explain the beautiful art of soccer, I like how you were able to describe the significance of what goes on and off the field. Can’t wait to see where the soccer boys place in today’s game! Goooo Leopards!

6. Jadin Afuvai on May 24th, 2017 1:37 pm

This article is a great thing to read for a person who doesn’t know much about soccer. Very good detailed history about the sport.

7. Buddy McClelland on May 24th, 2017 1:43 pm

This article was very enjoyable to read because it reflected the game of soccer. It went into the game more thoroughly that possibly no one would know.

8. Alberto Carrillo on May 24th, 2017 1:46 pm

I found this article interesting because it brought opinions on “Flopping” and what people think of it. I liked how it also had some information about soccer’s history. I had no Idea this first international game was in between England and Scotland.

9. sione angilau jr B 5/6 on May 24th, 2017 1:51 pm

To start great job and I don’t even like soccer but this was interesting. I first liked that quote it really showed me what soccer is all about. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

10. Nick Budd on May 24th, 2017 1:51 pm

This article was very informative about the history of Soccer. I also deeply respect the sport of Soccer and the people who play it. Also shout out to my boy Trevor Elders, who’s going to help East win State.

11. brianna on May 24th, 2017 1:55 pm

I love how you interpret soccer into art. I also liked how you gave a brief summary on soccer’s history

12. lorena figueroa on May 24th, 2017 2:02 pm

I grew up playing soccer before I got into dance, and I enjoyed it so much, I loved on how you give significant information on what goes on the field and when your off. wish you guys luck on your game !!

13. Dennise velazco on May 24th, 2017 2:12 pm

I personally hate playing the game. I played once when I was 6 years old and quite after one single game . But watching it is something completely different. I have a smaller brother who is a natural soccer player. And I am the one that always takes him to practice and to his games. By being force to do so over the course of a year I have come to appreciate the game. I like how informative this article was. I had no idea that what made soccer spread was the match between England and Scotland.

14. Yogesh Gurung on May 24th, 2017 2:17 pm

I totally agree with Olivier Giroud, when he said “I will play to create history and enjoy myself and give pleasure to the fans” because i want to create history and be like ronaldinho. But i totally disagree with anyone who says “flopping” is a good strategy because its stupid first of all and its almost the same as cheating. I know i will never flop in my entire soccer career.

15. Nathalie Ramirez on May 24th, 2017 2:20 pm

I don’t know much about soccer but this gave me an idea of what it really means. I liked it.

16. Mike on May 24th, 2017 2:21 pm

I think this was a good topic to write about, I’ve never played soccer, however the writing really pulled me in and kept me reading, very interesting, Good job.

17. JAMES KNIGHT on May 25th, 2017 8:19 am

I would like to congratulate East High Soccer on making it to the State Title Game. This topic in the article of when it is or when it isn’t appropriate to flop has always interested me. Hopefully East will not flop to much in the title game but I do believe they will do enough to win. GO EAST!!!

18. Alyssa on May 25th, 2017 8:25 am

This articles interests me because it’s talking about soccer, my favorite sport. I can connect to this article personally in many ways because of my own experiences playing. Growing up playing soccer has always been a way for me to relieve stress and just enjoy meeting new players improving our skills, forming new bonds.

19. Christina on May 25th, 2017 8:25 am

This was a very good article, the fact that art was combined with soccer really was interesting. As well that it gave the background of soccer.

20. kodiak on May 25th, 2017 8:25 am

I think that this is a very good article that provides a lot of information. I really enjoyed the player comments as well. Good luck at state tonight east!!!

21. Nestor Mendoza on May 25th, 2017 8:26 am

First I want to congratulate the East High Mens Soccer for making it to the state finals!!! ive always loved watching and playing soccer since I was a kid and it has always been my number one sport! Goodluck to all the players and bring the championship home !!

22. Devon O'Brian on May 25th, 2017 8:30 am

It is amazing how much information you found on soccer. Great job. I think flopping is just part of soccer and we all have to learn to just deal with it, it is almost like a play. They can use it to their advantage at times.

23. Sonya on May 25th, 2017 8:35 am

Soccer is really that kind of sport that i can see people with so much passion about it and loovveesss the game! Always been a big fan for the sport and this article really opened my eyes on the history on it and how it all started!

24. luciano acosta on May 25th, 2017 8:38 am

I like this article because going up all my family loved soccer so i grow up watching soccer. I like how it effect other people for the good. congratulations for making it to championship

25. octavio becerra on May 25th, 2017 8:39 am

soccer is my favorite sport. ive been playing since i was like 3 or 4 so reading about this and learning about how soccer used to be around for at least 3000 years ago is so awesome.

26. jackson conley on May 25th, 2017 8:39 am

this article taught me a lot about soccer and i learned things i didnt know before. personally i love playing soccer but to watch a full 90 minute game is to much to ask from me.

27. Jenny Bui on May 25th, 2017 8:41 am

I never knew that Christiano Ronaldo is the highest paying athlete! That’s pretty fascinating. My dad used to be a soccer player back when him and my mom lived in Vietnam. Hes always watching soccer so i’ve watched a few games and there pretty awesome. I’ve been to a east soccer game before and honestly its way better to watch it in person than on tv!

28. Stephen liddle on May 25th, 2017 8:44 am

I’ve played soccer a good portion of my life but this article gave me more insight and history of the sport. I loved how you showed that soccer is a form of art.

29. Oscar Arriaga on May 25th, 2017 8:46 am

I am not a big fan of soccer but this article mad soccer really interesting. As a kid soccer was the only sport I would play but I soon got tired of it and didn’t seem to enjoy it at all.

30. Dyllan Recinos on May 25th, 2017 8:46 am

Congratulations to the East High soccer team on making it to the championship game. This article really taught me a lot of new things I didn’t know about soccer.

31. maria garcia on May 25th, 2017 8:48 am

Congrats on the East High Mens Soccer team for making it into state finals,

32. Liana Kaitu'u on May 25th, 2017 8:50 am

This is such a cool article. It was nice reading about the art and history of soccer. I love the way that this informs the reader but doesn’t make them bored..

33. Jorge Garcia on May 25th, 2017 8:51 am

Interesting and amazing article, I don’t watch soccer much, but this article show so much detail. The art is really amazing. Now I know some history about soccer!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right